Worried about John

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
I’m very worried about John. I’m afraid the infection may be resurfacing.

For the last two weeks he’s had a couple of good days, but more bad ones.

On a good day, he recognises me, not as Hazel, or his wife, but as someone he’s pleased to see. He responds to me, and understands some of what I say, if I keep repeating it, and use lots of signs. He can walk round the corridors with me, and enjoy his cup of tea and cake.

On bad days, I had very little response, he didn’t want to walk, and spent most of my visit lying on his bed. He didn’t understand anything I said.

Today was the worst since he left hospital. He had been found on the floor at 6 am. There is no bruising, so they think he was just getting out of bed and his legs went from under him. He was still in pyjamas, having refused to get dressed. He was asleep in his chair, and he couldn’t get up to get to bed. I had to feed him his tea and cake, and apparently he’d had to be fed at lunchtime.

In other words, just like he was before he went to hospital.

I’ve asked them to test his urine, and they’re going to. Of course, it’s weekend again!

I feel so down tonight.
hazel have not sent any post for a while i hope jhon will get the treatment as soon as posible am sure you can get emergancy care at weekends ,home where i work we can get treatment,my sister had vascular dementia so i know how dificult it is my heart gos out to you take care dolly gee

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Hazel

Just catching up with your thread sorry to hear John is not to well,hope you find out tomorrow what is wrong.Hope you get a good sleep tonight.Thinking of John and you take care Marian xx

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Mañana, Hazel

Hi Hazel

I've been running around in headless chicken mode all day, trying to get everything packed. Have your ever tried to get a woggle into an already full holdall. Who would think that something so simple would put up such a fight. After all of this I have just sat down for a few minutes on TP. The sun and red wine should all happen mañana, if it all goes to plan.

Take care now

Love from

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Woggle

Hazel

It is the "long foam sausage thingy" which is used to help teach people swim. Not too sure that my explanation has really helped:eek: but my daughter uses one which means that she can doggie paddle without arm bands.

I've not started on the red wine yet, honest.:D

Love from

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I thought that once you had packed the boy scout there was no room left for the woggle!!!!:D

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John's a bit better today, thanks Deborah. He's not jerking as much, though still very sleepy. His left hand is still swollen, though it's gone down a bit. I tried to get his ring off, but no joy. The staff are keeping an eye on it, in case it has to be cut off (the ring, not the finger:eek:).

I'm OK, just flat at the moment. Last week brought me down to earth with a bump!:(

Love,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill had to have his wedding ring cut off a couple of years ago when he fell. Since then we had it repaired at a ringmakers shop in Glasgow and it looks as good as new. Izzy x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yes, they've tried that, Sylvis, but his knuckle is very swollen.

Unless it gets worse, they're going to leave it over the weekend. I must confess I'd be happier if it was off.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If you would be happier if the ring were off, then get it done as soon as possible. Then you can have it repaired as Izzy suggested. You could put it around John's neck on a chain or wear it yourself on a chain.

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Mum had this problem- we wrapped cotton around her finger to compress it and then soap over to get it off. Start at finger tip up to knuckle. hope this helps?

Julie xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The ring is off!:)

I had to wait till today, because the handyman doesn't work weekends.

He had an awful job sawing it off, because the finger was so swollen. Apparently they have something in A&E, sort of hot wire that cuts through it. Pity I didn't get it done when we were there last week.

I'm going to get it repaired and put it on a chain round John's neck -- not that he would ever have worn a chain, but I'd like him to wear it.

He's still very sleepy, but otherwise OK. He was amazing while the ring was being sawn off -- but that's John!:)