Worried about John

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you all so much.:)

Helen, I definitely have some sunshine on the inside just now. And if it doesn't last, well, it's more lovely days for the memory box!:)

(Still waiting for Mamma Mia to reach Dumfries. They're still showing Batman!):(

Love,

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Lynne,

We had same experience until we found something called "Protect Strips", made by company I can't remember now, but MMM rings a bell. Or even three.

They are waterproof, easily removed from very tender skin with no problems, and leave no marks on the skin, nor any damage to the skin.

Try a drugstore which may remind you of a company connected with money! Not shoes, nor superman, but money and lots of losses of money in the past.

We buy 3 boxes of PROTECT STRIPS at a time. But often have to place a special order for them. Why? No idea why.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sorry Hazel - not hi-jacking your thread.

Just need Gigi to put me top of her lsit if I need help in the future.

I promise you this one was always very careful and gentle....

And still is......even though she's not "practising" any more...

O.K gigi.....just getting ready for when I am old and feeble..........(No, don't you dare:eek::eek:)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Hazel,
Great news about John! I was wondering the other day and went by the "no news is good news" theory. Glad you're feeling better. It really can take a while to get back to normal. And you've had a very rough time lately, it's nice to know that things are looking up.

Here in Toronto we have broken the record for the rainiest summer and it's not over yet. It's supposed to rain tomorrow too. At least the grass is lovely and green - normally at this time of year it goes all dry and yellow, unless it's watered like mad. I don't water the lawn because I think that's a real waste of water. I do water my flowers though.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
This morning the activities co-ordinator took John to the sensory room. No mean feat, his chair is heavy to push, and the sensory room is in the nursing section. This meant a journey along the corridor to the residential floor, then up in the lift to the nursing floor.

She was thrilled with his response. Apparently he wasn't interested in the lava lamps, but loved the fibreoptic lights. He actually reached out to hold one of them, the first spontaneous response for ages.

When they got back, she gave him a sweet, and left another one on the arm of his chair, hoping he'd take it. He didn't, it was still there when I went in at lunch time, so that didn't work.

But she'll try again!:)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel dear, you must have been so pleased.

He actually reached out to hold one of them, the first spontaneous response for ages.

Those rooms are so lovely. They can be very calming when you get a very agitated resident.

I am glad they are going to try again at another time.
Thank you for sharing.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hazel,
That is excellent news! I'm glad to hear that the home is continuing to try various things to keep John engaged. The activities co-ordinator sounds like a lovely person.

Keep the good news coming.

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Hazel@ Good to read your post. Lovely to hear of John's response to the fibroeptic lights. I hope the care worker manages to get further responses from John.

Love Jan

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Hazel, so glad to hear that things are picking up a little for you both. I was very interested to read about the sensory room. I've only seen a couple of these rooms and had forgotten about them. They don't have one in my mum's home because it is not registered for EMI care although there are clearly a number of residents who have dementia there. I did see quite an impressive sensory room in a home on the South coast, when I was thinking of moving lock,stock, barrel and mother down south, but for boring pragmatic reasons, stayed put.
Hope that the weather is proving a little more benign for you. Take care, love Deborah x

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
No, sadly the weather is still awful, wet and cold.

The frogs are having a ball in the garden, the next invasion will be ducks!

Love to all,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Hazel,

Pleased to read your message and hear about John's reaction. Glad they are going to try again. I saw a sensory room at one of the places I looked at last year and it was amazing. Sadly they don't have one at Mum's place because it is rather basic, but the place is generally very good and I think she is as happy as she is going to be.

Keep us posted.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Hazel

I'm just catching up and have just read about the time John had in the sensory room. This is wonderful. He responded. I didn't know that care homes had these rooms; the one my sister worked in didn't.

You must have felt very uplifted today despite the dismal weather.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Joanne, thanks for asking.:)

John is better than he's been for months!:):)

His heel has healed over -- though swabs still come back MRSA. He's more alert, and his colour is good. I get smiles and kisses -- though not on the mouth. When I go to kiss him, he sticks his tongue out!

Tomorrow is a big day for the home. The group has a chef of the year competition, and each home has to put on a themed festival and meal. These are videoed, and judged by head office. They're doing a coronation street party -- no, a street party from the time of the coronation!:eek:

They've put so much work into it, but the activities co-ordinator has torn a muscle and is on crutches, and the handyman's father, who was a long-term resident of John's unit, died yesterday. How unlucky can you be! Sorry, that sounds uncaring, and I didn't mean it that way. The whole unit (and one regular visitor!) is very upset at his loss.

And I've got my meeting with my MD tomorrow morning, so I might be out of a job by lunch time!

But John is well, and that's what matters.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
But John is well, and that's what matters.

That sounds like good new .

I've never heard about the sensory room before have they tried it again with John since the last time they took John to the Sensory room?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
No Maggie, they haven't taken him again, and unfortunately it'll be a while before he can go again, it was the injured activities co-ordinator who took him.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455