Worried about John

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Had a review with John's consultant today. She spoke to me first, in the office. She was absolutely lovely. She'd obviously heard about my problems with the GP (who from?), and she agreed that they had no right to refuse to treat.

She was very concerned about me, and said I should cut down my visiting a bit as I looked exhausted. I explained that that was the result of last week's trauma, and I might cut down once things were stabilised.

She's stopped his Reminyl as a trial. She says they may be making him more drowsy now. But if he shows signs of decline, to put him straight back on it, and not try again.

Then she went down to see John, he was in bed. She wanted to see him alone first, so that she could gauge his reaction when I went in. His face lit up when I went in, and he held up his face for a kiss. She said she had no response from him until she told him she'd get Hazel, and then he smiled.

Good old John. That convinced her that the response was still there.

And believe it or not she's going to assign a CPN to monitor the situation -- we've never had a CPN, one of my complaints!

My darling John played a blinder today!:):):)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so pleased to see your post and how wonderful of John to rise to the occasion! Bless him.
Well done at having a CPN assigned to you (our Mental H Team are so pushed we have not got one!). I hope he/she can help YOU.

Best wishes and so happy for you that things seem ok for now.
Love Jan

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Hazel

What brilliant news!

One of my complaints about Mum's NHS care was the fact that once she was discharged to the NH she was never seen by the Consultant again and has been left to the GPs'care (enough said about that!)

I think that I must add to my list of things to do to fight more vociferously for good primary health care for those with dementia, to get understanding that they can enjoy a good quality of life and enjoy it!

Hope all goes better and well done John!

((((hugs)))

Mameeskye

PS Go and get yourself a stiff uisge-beatha tonight! You deserve it!

PPS Once he is stabilised a little, try and treat yourself to some you-time. It's difficult I know. I remember feeling immensely guilty after I had travelled to a course in the town in which my Mum resides (225 miles from where I was living at that time). I visited her in the NH the night I arrived, did my course for the full day the next day and then went back to her house (we still had it at the time)and spoilt myself with a Tesco ready meal and a hot bath and early bed (and no visit!). My sons were 2 1.2 at the time so you can imagine the treat that this was. It was so, so refreshing and made me a much better visitor the next day when I went to see her in the morning.

117katie

Yipppppeeeee!!!!!

Dear Hazel

Anyone who can say about another LOVED ONE "His face lit up when I went in, and he held up his face for a kiss" deserves the ultimate GOLD MEDAL. And I mean Hazel, of course, shared with John who did his bit!!!!

Can't tell you how much that gives me hope for personkind in the future.

And the fact that the Consultant could acknowledge that "That convinced her" speaks volumes for the Consultant.

Why can't all Consultants be like that?

Listening to one and hearing what one has to say. They are becoming my important words: LISTEN and please HEAR.

Yippppeee! is all I can say.

Lots of love
Katie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Hazel,
So John rose to the occasion. Good for him. A bit different to the sleeping, disinterested, worn down by infection John of the last few months.
Well done both of you.
Love xx

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Fantastic news

Hazel

What great news and what a heart-warming post to read. I am so very happy that things seem to be heading in an upward direction. I hope that this is the first of many, many happy days.

Well done to both of you.:)

Love burf xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Good news Hazel. :)

I think you should take on board what the consultant says and take a break, once you feel happy that John is getting the right care. Time to re-charge your batteries, and re-load for the next assault ;)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, everyone. Sue, I will -- as soon as this particular battle is over.

Just had a phone call from the surgery. I went for my own MOT last week -- all good news. Weight down, BP down, cholesterol down -- except -- thyroid function also down.

I'm not surprised, it was borderline last year, and I was supposed to have it checked again in three months, but didn't. Now I've got to speak to the doc next Tuesday about medication -- the same doc I've just complained about, and who is supposed to be reviewing John this week. Haven't heard any more about that!

Ouch!:eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Don`t worry Hazel. That doc may now be sweetness and light now he`s been found wanting. ;)

Have you been on Thyroid medication before? I`ve been on it for years and it`s been trouble free.

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Hi Hazel,
Lovely to hear the news on John..
How lovely it must be for you to get a reaction like that, 'Pure Magic'...
Take Care Both of you!!
Lots of Love,

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Hazel,

Please forgive the question, but what's special about Manuka Honey ?

My Supermarket today had plenty of honey but the tray of Manuka Honey was empty !!

Love to you and John, sincerely hope the progress continues,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It's from New Zealand, Cliff.

The Manuka bush only grows there, and the bees are fed on it. It has antibacterial qualities, and can be used internally, or as a dressing on wounds.

You have to check the strength of it, it has to have a UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) of 10 or above to be effective. It can go up to 25, but it gets quite expensive at that.

Health food shops will have the full range of strengths, I don't know about the supermarket, ours didn't have it when I looked.

http://www.manukahoney.co.uk/

Love,

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Hazel
Sorry to hear that John has had a brush with MRSA and I'm glad that he's recovered from that now. My dad had MRSA which he contracted on a hospital ward. It took quite a while to clear. I remember it was a very scary time and just when you think things can't get any worse...
Hope John is much more comfortable now. I am sorry to intrude on your thread Hazel and I'm sorry that I can't offer more support. Dad is in the later stages of the condition , but it is not the end I dont think just yet. The day will come and it is a very scary thought. I do admire your spirit
regards
hendy

Last edited: