Worried about John

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Hi Hazel,

I've not posted on the site for a while but I regularly read the postings. My Mum is just the same with regards to constantly sliding down the chair. I bought a lift and recline chair; this alleviates the problem slightly but does not resolve it entirely.

I have just been looking on sites relating to chairs - take a look at this link, it may be of assistance to you. It sounds expensive but without the VAT and possibly a deal with the Nursing Home, it may be a feasible option:

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/comfy-tilt-pressure-care-chair-p-5762.html

With regards to John's heels - I bought Mum a pair of sheepskin heel protectors from Millercare. They are open toed and fasten across with velcro - not suitable for walking in - but as John's mobility is impaired, they should be ideal for when he is in bed or sat on the chair. They were about £20 but are washable.

Hope the above information is of use to you. Take care.:)

CassElle

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Woried about John

Hi again,

Forgot to mention something else that may help a little. I also got a 'Glide & Lock Sheet' for Mum to use on the chair. The Occupational Health Visitor recommended and supplied one.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks CassElle. The chair on the site you mention is very similar to the ones I've been looking at. I've sent off loads of emails, so hopefully will get some answers on Monday.

The heel protectors are a brilliant idea, they look as if they'll go on over John's dressings. I've ordered a couple of pairs. They have some lovely sheepskin bootees, but sadly ony in women's sizes!

Thank you also Maggie, Sylvia, Jan and MameeSkye for your words of comfort.

Bruce, thanks for the info, I missed your post earlier. I wonder if I need an electric one too? More research needed.

To be honest, I don't think John will be using it for long, though of course you never know. I didn't get any cost-sharing offers, but as the home is part of a large chain, I guess it would have to go to head office. We'll see.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

PS Thank you Connie, I've just spotted your post. I always read your too!:)

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel, think we were both posting at the same time.

The best monies that we have spent has been in Lionel's chair.

He still has to be put back to bed at about 2.oopm just after lunch, but without the chair would have been bed-bound months ago.

As to 'how much useage', just another one of those unanswerable questions. Love n'hugs,

Tina

May 19, 2006
Have followed your thread, Hazel, and hope you manage to find a good solution for John to be comfortable in his chair.

So sorry to hear he might not get his mobility back. It's so hard to watch how skills and abilities are lost along the way. But he's still there!! Somewhere in that man who sleeps a lot of the time and is getting less mobile, the essence remains of what is John.

Take care, thinking of you both.
Love from Tina x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John now has a chest infection. How can this happen when he's still on antibiotics from his last UTI?

I'm afraid I lost it today, started to cry and couldn't stop. They wouldn't let me drive home, and I had half the staff fussing over me and bringing me cups of tea.

I'm so afraid.

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
Hi Hazel

Im so sorry to hear John has now got a chest infection. My thoughts are with you and I'm sending you big {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

Take care of yourself.

Clare

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Hazel,
I am so sorry to read about John. At this present time I am so afraid waiting for the phone to ring. I once wrote when I was sobbing my heart out and it was pouring outside and said I have started God of crying, well it is still pouring here. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend, what on earth in the complex life gave our loved ones this illness?
With very best wishes . Christine

Tina

May 19, 2006
Hazel,

so sorry to hear about John's chest infection. Glad the staff kept you there and fussed over you a bit as well. Hopefully they'll have caught the infection at an early stage so it can be treated quickly and efficiently, but I can understand how worried you must be.

Maybe it was that the UTI antibiotics are only working on the UTI and not necessarily able to prevent chest infection. Also, sometimes people show a certain resistance to antibios so that an antibiotic that is used for one thing can't necessarily work for another infection.

Hopefully the staff and doc are on the ball and can prescribe something that will help John's recovery quickly.

Thinking of you. I know it's hard.
Love, Tina xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Hazel,

How I feel for you.

Might Tina be right? That the anti-biotics are only working on the UTI? I do remember you saying something about a specific anti-biotic for that. Let`s hope so.

Meanwhile I can only say we`re all here for you. It`s not much consolation when you are so upset and frightened but please take some strength from our our positive vibes.

Love xx

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Hi Skye

I've been following your posts, but struggling to know what to write. Not a medical woman but I agree about the specific antibiotics, maybe he needs something else to tackle the chest infection?

You're in so many people's thoughts, take comfort and stay strong.

We're all thinking of you.

Sharon xx

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Hazel,

Sending you a big hug and hope that John's infection clears up as rapidly as it arrived.

How lovely of the staff to look after you when you needed someone - I know it makes the tears worse when people are so kind but somehow that doesn't matter when people care.

We all care for you as well.

Love Mary-Ann

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Hazel,
I'm just catching up with things. So sorry to hear about John's latest developments.
The others are right re the antibiotics-different ones used for different bugs in different areas-hope they catch it and nip it in the bud.
You must be going through it-am sending you love and prayers.
Love from Gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
You're probably right about the antibiotics, I know the broad-spectrum ones didn't work on the UTI.

Of course, it's weekend again -- all John's infections start on a Sunday! One of the nurses rang NHS24 to ask for advice -- no-one available, they'd ring back! And this is supposed to be an emergency service!

Just about to go back and see if anything has happened. I doubt it, but they'll ring GP first thing.

Thanks everyone, I need the support just now.

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just to say how sorry I am to hear about John's chest infection. No wonder you 'lost it' and cried - pleased the staff looked after you so well and maybe the release of tension was good for you in the long run (I know that sounds daft but hope you understand).

Still thinking about you. Best wishes Jan

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Hazel,
Really thinking about you and John, it just gets to the point where it feels like its just one thing after another, doesn't it.
I understand that you're afraid and I'm sorry that you're feeling this way right now.
I agree about the antibiotics too and it is just typical about being the weekend, was always the way with Mum.
Hope things are a little easier for you this evening, Look after yourself, won't you. Sending lots of love to you both,
Nicky xxx

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hazel

Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and John - I wish I had something brilliant to say that would be really comforting - sadly I don't, so please have a virtual {{{{{HUG}}}}} instead

Take care

Libs

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well NHS24 did ring back -- paracetamol and lots of fluids! They're going to ring the GP in the morning.

John was just the same this evening, deep chesty cough, very drowsy. The staff insisted on giving me a meal, said I had to look after myself. Trouble is, I know everything is made with fortisip instead of milk to keep the calories up, and I don't need the extra calories!:eek:

The good thing is that John's 'named nurse' was in charge today, and was so caring. I haven't had a lot to do with her up to now, I've tended to go to the 'man at the top', so it's good to have established a bond.

I'm feeling a lot calmer now, I'll try not to collapse again tomorrow!

Thanks for the hugs, much appreciated.