Worried about John

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Fingers crossed it is the infection that's got to him and the doctor can help.
Molly the giant puppy sends a 'bounce'.

Attachments

• small_IMG_1764.jpg
    small_IMG_1764.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 803

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Yes, Molls is a gentle, affectionate giant. Aren't dogs great when you're down? I had a 'moment' this morning and she came and put her head of my lap. She's only seven months but she's wise beyond her years.

Keep your chin up.

Sharon

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hazel,

It is sad that we "need" these emergencies to convince us that our loved ones are in the right place, we shouldn't need that.

I do hope he gets treatment and recovers.

Elaine mentioned the Cranberry juice, it might be an old wives tale but I take my mum some every week - and she actually drinks it! She hasn't had a UTI for about 4 years now, and is prone to them. Also, he must be encouraged to drink plenty of water, but we all know that people think that means half a glass a day, when it actually means two litres. But the cranberry is a fail-safe, I'm surprised care homes don't give everyone a couple of glasses a day.

Hope things improve.

Much love

Margaret

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Hazel,

I also hope that the GP can come up with something for John.

Sorry that you have to go through this again.

Fingers Crossed that all is well soon. Take Care Taffy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, folks. Margaret, I'm pouring cranberry juice into John at the moment!

The home rang the GP first thing. The duty doctor rang me at home -- they hadn't changed his records to say he was in NH!

Anyway, I was glad to have the opportunity to talk to him. I told him they couldn't get a sample, but the broad-spectrum antibiotic hadn't worked last time. I asked if he had a record of the one they'd used in hospital -- of course not!!!!!

Anyway, he arranging for a specific, and they should have it this afternoon.

Let's hope it works quickly.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello Hazel

I hope the GP's intervention helps John (and you), it's such a worry.

Just to say am thinking about you both.

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Hi
Hope you've got good news and John is feeling better.

Cranberry juice is good stuff - certainly won't do him any harm.

Sharon
PS Molly says 'hi' and sends another big bounce.

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Cranberry juice was always offered to my husband in his NH.

I can only speak highly of his care for the last 5 weeks of his life that he spent there.
Cynthia x x

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Hazel

Not been on much recently as I've been so busy and Mum had another UTI but this time the Gp appears to have given her the right antibiotic first time and she has recovered very quickly. Hopefully you will have this experience too.

((((hugs)))

Mameeskye

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Hazel,

I'm sorry John is unwell again. Have you had confirmation of another UTI (I may have missed it as for some reason my page 2 of this thread has gone really wide!) or is the doctor assuming that this is the case?

I hope for John's (and your) sake that it is a UTI and the antibiotics get to work pronto.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sue

I'm afraid the diagnosis is mine -- John's symptoms are exactly the same as last time, and the charge nurse agreed.

John will start the antibiotics tonight, and hopefully they'll kick in quickly. He's very ill, though not as bad as last time, hopefully we've caught it in time.

I was very anxious (nagging!:eek: ) to get the treatment started. I'm terrified of further neurological damage.

Page 2 is wide because of a picture which is rather over sized. But she is a beautiful puppy!:)

Love,

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm glad the medics and care home are listening to and trusting you in your knowledge of John and his condition.

Skye said:
Page 2 is wide because of a picture which is rather over sized. But she is a beautiful puppy!:)

Oh I see! She's definitely a giant puppy. But you're right she's well worth it.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
hello hazel,so sorry john is not well.it's amazing what problems a UTI can present.I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and you start to see a change in john.I know from my experiences at work how upsetting seeing a loved one with a UTI is.

You nag all you want babe to get what you want.No-one knows John better than you and for you to be able to predict the infection is a sure sign your up there with the best.I'm not discounting the NH at all ,but things can be missed as i will be the first one to admit and to know there are families who do care and are willing to accept that we don't always see the problem first hand is wonderful.Agree to agree on the care given and offer your advice at all times.God bless you both elainex

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
okmurrays said:
Yes, Molls is a gentle, affectionate giant. Aren't dogs great when you're down? I had a 'moment' this morning and she came and put her head of my lap. She's only seven months but she's wise beyond her years.

I agree about dogs being great. Last week when I had the bad news that Mum was being moved to the dementia ward of the local hospital, I was crying and very upset. Alfie my dog, got two paws on the worktop, I was leaning on it (he knows he isn't allowed to do that) and gave me big kisses.
I think dogs have a second sense, when someone is upset or frail.
He was always very gentle with Mum and Dad, resting his chin or theirs knees and being very patient while they patted him (hard sometimes) on the head.

Alfjess

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75