Worried about John

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Johns ring Hazel. I wear my mums engagement ring and I would be devastated to lose it because of its sentimental value. What a dispicable act if it has been taken. I hope it turns up. xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yes, it's all been checked, Deborah, as have all the other rooms in the unit. No sign.

The police are in again today, interviewing staff who were on duty on Thursday night and Friday morning. They're taking it very seriously, which surprises me. I thought it would be just a case of report it, get an incident number, and forget it. I suppose they have to be very careful with staff of care homes, because they all have to go through disclosure. If they catch the person it will go to court.

One of the other staff nurses was on duty today. She was on on Thursday night, and she's very upset. She's been through all the rooms again herself.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
If they catch the person it will go to court..

And quite rightly so. There is no way such a person should ever, ever be allowed to work in a CH, amongst all those vulnerable people.

I do hope it that the ring and chain do turn up. This can't be making you feel very sure about John's home with this happening.

Love Carina x x x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh Sky,

I'm so sorry to hear the latest incident. It must have upset you greatly.

I had to take Ken to A & E last Friday after a fall he'd had. Nothing broken thank goodness, but he has a very sore back and side at the moment. When I got back to the Nursing Home with him late that night, the night staff were on duty.

Now like yourself, I've had a very nasty incident involving the night staff which was taken to the highest level and one of the night staff was suspended for a month and then had to be re-trained before being allowed back on duty. As I arrived back from A & E with Ken and went to report to the assistant manager, I noticed the two night staff nudging each other as Ken and I arrived. I knew exactly what the nudge meant!!

So when I was speaking to the assistant manager in the office I pointed out what I'd seen and said that I hoped the staff were not bearing a grudge against myself or Ken, as this would be reflected in his care by them. She assured me that this was not the case.

A few minutes later one of the night staff came into the room Ken and I were in and gave Ken his bedtime Horlicks drink. She stayed and chatted to me and was very friendly. Perhaps the assistant manager had told her what I said and she was showing me that there was no animosity. I do hope so.

It just shows you how important the staff are to us and our loved ones, doesn't it Sky? I do sympathise with you greatly. It's about time that the staff involved in your incident were forced to make you an apoplogy!! If any of them are involved in the missing ring incident, I hope they throw the book at them.

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
This can't be making you feel very sure about John's home with this happening.

Hi Carina. Oddly enough, though I feel very upset, if the ring was stolen, there's not much doubt about who it was, and this time the rest of the staff are not going to back her. Of course, it would be much better if one of the 'wanderers' had picked it up and put it somewhere, the thought that someone could be so cruel as to steal something so personal turns my stomach, and I think the rest of the staff feel the same.

Both charge nurses would do anything to get rid of this girl, but the manager always says not enough evidence. She's been disciplined several times, but it doesn't make any difference. She applies for other jobs, but her attendance record is so awful, she never gets them. She goes out partying every weekend, then just doesn't turn up for work.

Tina, I'm glad Ken hasn't broken anything, I hope he's feeling better now. You're right about the importance of staff, we're entrusting our loved ones to them, and if there are any doubts we can never be easy.

I don't need an apology, but I'd be much happier if that girl wasn't there. No-one can understand how she gets away with so much.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I must admit that occurred to me Hazel - no other member of staff will give her any support over something like this since it's not just about her but the suspicion is inevitably going to fall on everyone there.

So sorry you're going through this.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
This might sound silly and I am sure you have thought of all this, but once we lost a ring and it was found in the trouser turnups, I suppose this is not possible? It's a nasty thing if that person has taken it, even more so as it was such a precious thing to you both. I do hope it turns up soon, love Pauline xx

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Just crossed my mind - the perpetrator will have to be mighty clever to do this - get all the dna off the jewellery & put them somewhere e.g. the bathroom.....that's what might happen? At least that way you'd have the ring back & also the fear (& hopefully shame) might change her......

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
the perpetrator will have to be mighty clever to do this - get all the dna off the jewellery & put them somewhere e.g. the bathroom.....that's what might happen?

She's clever enough, Sue, but as for fear and shame -- no way! If it's her, that is!

No trouser turn-ups, John doesn't have them Pauline. In any case, everything goes to the laundry every night, so it would have been found.

Thanks, Jennifer!:)

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hazel,

Just a thought, but Peter once lost a ring. Everything was searched on the E.M.I. floor. It was noted in their book.

It was found eventually in the laundry room between the rubbers of the machine.

Do hope the ring turns up.

Christine

living in hope

Dec 14, 2008
yorkshire
Hi Hazel
So sorry to hear about John's ring, I can't imagine how I would feel if it were Brian's.
I hope it does turn up, Brian is always losing things and they turn up in the strangest places, he lost his glasses today whilst sat in a chair and although I and the carers felt all around him we couldnot find them, he went to the loo and I heard something fall to the floor and went in to check on him and his glasses were on the floor, he must have had them tucked down his undies or something!! Just a thought but have you thought of running a metal detector over his room, clothes etc.
I really hope it has not been stolen, that would be beyond despicable.
Love
Lorraine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for the ideas, everyone, but remember John is completely immobile. He coudn't even have lifted his hand to the chain.

It was taken off him when he was put to bed on Thursday night (against instructions), and placed on top of his chest of drawers. It wasn't there in the morning.

Either one of the 'wanderers' picked it up (unlikely as the door was alarmed) , or it was stolen.

I know which I'd prefer, but I also know what the police believe.:(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Hazel, I do feel for you. You must be devastated. Every time I see you have posted on here I hope that you are about to say that it has been found. Take care. Izzy x

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Hazel,
This is stomach churning and totaly horrible.
I feel so angry that a carer (and I use the word loosely) could sink so low as to steal from a patient who needs them for every aspect of their care and put colleagues under suspicion as well.

Hazel I sincerely hope John's wedding ring is found. xxx

I also hope and pray there can be some change in legislation to protect patients in NH's against this. THREE STRIKES AND YOUR OUT.

foxhound

Jun 26, 2008
A way outside chance, and you probably haven't got the emotional energy to spare, but might it be worth doing a round robin to the main "send us your gold in an envelope" merchants and to local jewellers with a description of the ring, explaining the circumstances and sentimental importance and promising a reward?

This sort of approach can work - I remember an uncle recovering most of a large haul of stolen silver by going to Bermondsey market (on advice of his insurer) and asking around. Same sort of idea.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hazel,

I also hope and pray there can be some change in legislation to protect patients in NH's against this. THREE STRIKES AND YOUR OUT.

If they can prove anything, it's ONE strike and you're out, Sam. The trouble is, proving it!:(

A way outside chance, and you probably haven't got the emotional energy to spare, but might it be worth doing a round robin to the main "send us your gold in an envelope" merchants and to local jewellers with a description of the ring, explaining the circumstances and sentimental importance and promising a reward?

The police are onto that. The hope is that whoever took it is daft enough to take it to the local 'we buy your gold' stall, they apparently hang on to everything for a while in case there are queries. The fact that the ring is engraved will help.

They now have a suspect -- and it's not the person I thought it was.:eek: (Actually, I'll be pleased if it's not her, I don't want to get involved in ny more unpleasantness with her).

It's another carer, and the police are interviewing her at home. I don't know her, which is good. Fingers crossed.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
You're right, I don't, Helen.:(

I'm having a very bad patch at the moment where everything is going wrong. I just got my windscreen fixed on Tuesday, and on Thursday John's ring disappears!

OK, they're not major in the scheme of things, but this year it has been one thing after another, and I need something to go right!:)

Thanks for the support, larivy.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Something is going right dear Hazel.

We have both posted our cheques for the holiday - (O>.K. now we are bankrupt - whats new):D

Try to stay positive sweetheart. Thinking of you.