Worried about John

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Hazel..sorry John's not so good today-you expected it I think-doesn't make it any easier though.

Grommit-if you're around-see that guy on a bike that okmurray sent a photo of-that's what you should be aspiring to..forget the sardine cans...an old cotton tablecloth and a bit of tin foil-you're on your way!!!:D

Lots of love Gigi xx

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel, sorry about the yo-yo days. Par for the course I'm afraid.

Incidently, do you know this man? man on bike.gif

Last seen headed your way. Lovexxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh Connie, that's brilliant! Skye's quite upset, she thinks I'm crying!

One thing though, how did you know what Grommit looks like? Don't tell me he's already cycled to sunny Frinton?

Sharon, your Jedi Knight looks far too mormal for Grommit.:D

John was very sleepy tonight, but that's easier than the agitation at lunchtime. Hopefully a better day tomorrow.

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Connie: I was tempted to say you are wasted on TP but my gosh we could not do without you.

Where did you get it from? Now we all know what Grommit looks like. Wait til he gets online!

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
John does look more alert Hazel, he really is looking at the baby. And the baby is looking at Grandpa, too :)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Lovely photo, Hazel..certainly one for the record.

I agree John looks very alert..you must be so proud :)

Lots of love..Gigi xx

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Hazel,
What a fantastic photo of your special boys. I love it:)
I have to agree they are both taking it all in aren't they? Amazing...
Love and hugs,

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
What a lovely photo Hazel.

That will be treasured by all teh family I am sure.

He looks so much better. I hope that his recovery continues, although it may be a rollercoaster ride.

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Haven't posted an update for ages, as there hasn't been much to report. Couldn't believe how far back I had to go to find this thread!

Yesterday, John was very jerky, and I thought it was the start of a new infection. Today at lunch time he was bright and alert, and I thought, false alarm.

Then this afternoon it all went haywire. John was very jerky while I was feeding him, and kept trying to wriggle down in his chair. I got quite cross with him, as it's very difficult to feed someone who keeps sliding lower and lower. The carers picked him up three times in the course of the meal.

Well, the jerks just got worse and worse, and eventually he had a slight seizure. The staff nurse rang NHS24, and I've been there until now waiting for the doctor to arrive. He's given John a sedative for tonight, and our own GP will see him in the morning.

Feeling very worried tonight, and also very guilty. How could I tell him off, when he was ill? I should have recognised the signs from last time.

The NHS24 doc said 'you realise dementia is progressive, don't you?'

I refrained -- just-- from beating him over the head.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry to see this post, Hazel. Cannot add much but just to say thinking about you and please let us know how things are tomorrow.

Try your stress relief techniques tonight - you will need them.

Take care Jan

PS I do wonder about these jerks - David has them sometimes whilst ? sleeping. I have not taken them seriously as yet.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The NHS24 doc said 'you realise dementia is progressive, don't you?'

I`ve just completed a questionnaire on the AS web site for the National Dementia Strategy.

One question asked about the knowledge of professionals. The quote above would have been a gem.

I`m so sorry Hazel. I do hope the GP can help.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I refrained -- just-- from beating him over the head.

Should of done , clip around the ear

bet you would of felt better :)

Sorry to read about what happening to John , hoping for a better day for him tomorrow xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Jan & Sylvia.

Jan, John never had jerks until he had his first infection, now he gets them every time, but never as bad as today.

They do seem to be a feature of late-stage dementia, and they can lead to seizures. It's very scary to watch.

I have to say the staff were brilliant. There was only one carer in the lounge with me at the time, but within seconds there were two staff nurses and two carers there. They got him into bed very quickly, did his obs and rang NHS24 straightaway.

I need to do some reading up.

Love to both,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hazel when you mentioned "jerks" my initial thought was that you were referring to the NHS24 doctor: I've been in the USA too long.

I'm so sorry to hear that John's not well, but please try not to blame yourself: I don't know why but this stuff always seems to creep up on us no matter how well prepared we think we are.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel, so very sorry to read of this latest step in John's illness.

Are they 'myclonic' jerks? I only ask because Lionel has had these for some years now.

However he too has epileptic seizures, although I think the two are related somehow.

Mr, I have stopped reading up on these things, as nothing with Lionel is textbook. Just go now with instinct and compassion.

Sorry, rabbiting on about our life. My thoughts and love to you and John. Do hope he is calmer and more comfortable tomorrow.