Worried about John

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Mameeskye. The improvement is continuing. Long may it last!

Gigi, John had a beard until a couple of years ago. Then he forgot how to cope with it. It ended up with shaved bits in the most odd places, so I shaved it off for him and took over the shaving. He actually looked much younger without it -- until recently, that is.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Hazel

Love the photo.

Being Scots I can't resist the kilt.

My youngest Daughter, says when she gets married, every male will be clad in a kilt (a double belted plaid will be acceptable) and the reception will be a marquee in the field, with a ceilidh band.

I can only hope it will happen in the summer, otherwise there will be lots of mud.

And I wonder WHEN

Living in hope
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well the improvement didn't last. John has the chest infection back, and one of his heels is now infected. So now he's on two different antibiotics. The good news is, the second heel is drying up.

He's also in considerable pain, and can't tell us where it is. It could be the heel, but I think he also has pains in his hips, possibly sciatica. He's only comfortable lying down. I've persuaded the GP to up his pain relief from paracetamol to co-codamol.

He was very sleepy again today and wouldn't eat his tea, though I managed to get a fortisip into him. It seems to be one step forward, two steps back at the moment.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry Hazel. It must be a terrible strain for you each time you visit, not knowing what you`ll find.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sorry to hear about John's latest.

Know exactly what you mean about 'one step forward.........etc'
Lionel had 3 epileptic seizures yesterday, just when things were going O.K.

Just feel I want to walk away from the world.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh Connie, that's awful. I'm not surprised you want to walk away from the world. And after you had such a lovely peaceful day with him.

Were you with him? It must have been such a shock for you.

Love and hugs,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Yes Hazel, I was at the home from 9-6 yesterday.

Sat with him through all three. He is totally 'out of it' today.

It's like yourself with John. Really no two days alike.

Hopefully no surprises or shocks for either of us tomorrow.
That will at least mean both John and Lionel are having calm days.
Fingers crossed. Love n'hugs

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Connie and Hazel,

You two ladies deserve every thing good for the way you are coping with the ups and downs of this awful disease.

Love to you and Lionel and to John

Last edited:

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Connie and Hazel

My heart goes out to you both. This disease is a true rollercoaster ride and it is so difficult knowing what to expect. You hope, you fear and you dread.

(((((((hugs))))))) to you both tonight and I hope that you find John and Lionel better tomorrow.

Love

Mameeskye

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Hazel and Connie

Sorry to hear John and Lionel are not doing well, lets hope tomorrow brings a little improvement,

Thinking of you all

Love
Alfjess

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Connie and Hazel it must be real hell for you at the moment.

I really do hope that you can find the strength within yourselves to continue caring and to keep on hoping throughout.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Hazel and dear Connie,
Two such brave and wonderful women! You both deserve better and so do your beloved menfolk. Here's hoping and praying that things improve for you both.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Connie and Hazel,

You both have my sympathy and I sincerely hope that brighter days lie ahead for, Lionel, John and the both of you.

Caring Thoughts, Taffy.

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Dear Hazel and Connie,

I really hope today is a better day for you and your loved ones. This rollercoaster of ups and downs in their condition, on an almost daily basis, must be so difficult.

I now have a better understanding of what you are going through as Peter has developed a severe throat infection and overnight it is as if his dementia has progressed 5 years. Yesterday he couldn't stand, barely sit straight, couldn't/wouldn't talk and I had to try and feed him some lunch. Shocked just doesn't come close to describing how I feel.

But I would like you to know how much you (and many others) helped me yesterday. As Peter was surrounded by nurses and doctors I silently remembered many of your posts about infections and the appalling effects they can create. This gave me the strength to keep calm and not to panic.

Thank you for sharing your experiences - they really are invaluable.

Love Mary-Ann

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Westie

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry Peter has this infection, it can be so devastating, can't it? I'm glad our posts helped you, and I hope Peter gets over the infection with no residual damage.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie and Hazel,

Have been out of touch for a while.

Sad to hear the latest developments for you both.

Hoping things have levelled out a bit..it is a "one step forward ,two steps back" disease, isn't it.

Sending you both "deep peace"...Lots of love Gigi xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hazel, Connie and Mary Ann

I'm so sorry you're having a down turn at the moment and I truly hope things pick up for you.

You all three are such courageous and inspirational women and I admire you all so much I can't even express it in words (or smiley faces!)

They say a woman is like a tea bag (bear with me here!;)) - you only know how strong she is when she's in hot water - I think you three must be true yorkshire breakfast tea!!! (Takes the lining off your throat!)

I was going somewhere good with this but feel I may have lost my point along the way!!:D It's the painkilers...

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hi all,
Sorry to hear about the downturn and infections that have occurred. My dad is the same at the moment and doesnt seem to be getting over the pneumonia he has now had since a week before Christmas. I thought it was hard before, but now I really know how hard it can be. I hope that everyone is able to get over their infections quickly and my thoughts are with you all.
Snooky x