Worried about dementia

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
I am a young guy (25 years old) and i am worried that i may have dementia.

My memory seems to be getting bad, i get confused quite alot with names, i also forget people's names and alot of the time i cannot remember what i have just said.

Sometimes i also struggle putting words together and get my words mixed up, my thinking ability and concentration do not seem good sometimes as well.

My mind goes blank alot, my spelling does not seem as good as it used to be.

I used to think that it was not possible for really young people such as myself to get dementia as i used to think only older people suffer from it but i know now that it is possible for someone my age to get it.

No-one in my family has had dementia, my mum and dad are in their mid 40's and they are fine.

I just dont know really if i could have dementia, i don't know if i am being stupid, i probably sound silly to everyone on here.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello worriedyoungguy,

welcome to TP

i dont think anyone would think you were being silly or stupid, but i think the first stop should be your doctor to get yourself checked out before you start worrying about dementia,
there are a number of reasons that could be causing your symptoms and you need to get them ruled out first.
I would doubt very much you have dementia, but a checkup would be wise.
take care

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
dmc said:
hello worriedyoungguy,

welcome to TP

i dont think anyone would think you were being silly or stupid, but i think the first stop should be your doctor to get yourself checked out before you start worrying about dementia,
there are a number of reasons that could be causing your symptoms and you need to get them ruled out first.
I would doubt very much you have dementia, but a checkup would be wise.
take care

Thanks for your reply, the chances of me having dementia must be low i know, i will probably go and see my GP but i wouldnt really know what to say and how to say it if you know what i mean, i wouldn't want the GP to think that i am mad.

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
HI worriedyoungguy

wouldnt really know what to say and how to say it if you know what i mean, i wouldn't want the GP to think that i am mad

If you just tell your doctor what you've said in your post, I'm sure he won't think you're mad. It could be that you're just a bit stressed. Are you worrying about other things in your life? Take the first step and make an appointment - I'm sure once you've been able to talk to the doctor, you will feel a lot better.

Libs

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello again

im sure your gp wouldnt think your mad, honestly if that were the case my doctor would have had me in a straightjacket years ago,:D

why dont you make a copy of your post and take that along with you, just hand it to him/her when you get there.
i find its usually the first few words are the hardest after that i dont stop talking,
im sure your doctor would be able to put your mind at ease, and worrying about it is probably making your symptoms worse, i suffer from stress and honestly i can identify with a lot of your symptoms.
good luck anyway please let us know how you get on
take care

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
Thanks all for your replies so far, i will make an appointment to see the GP, i don't know what could be causing these symptoms, i really hope that it is not dementia and it is something less severe such as stress or something else, i feel that at 25 years old i have my whole life to live, having dementia at my age would be terrifying and to think i would not live very long would be dreadful, it's not worth thinking about.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi

its only a thought but are you on any other medication that might be causing you to have side effects?
if you are it might be worth a look.

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
dmc said:
hi

its only a thought but are you on any other medication that might be causing you to have side effects?
if you are it might be worth a look.

Well i used to suffer from panic attacks and i have been taking anti-depressants for the panic attacks, i have been taking them for around 2 years now but i don't think they would be making me get these symptoms.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
it might not be that, but it would be worth mentioning to your doctor about your symptoms it could just mean that you need to change you antidepressant, if you read the side effects which i try not too :rolleyes: you might find that some of the things youve been experiencing are the same.
just a thought anyway im sure when you see your GP things will be a lot clearer, in the mean time try not to worry.
take care

Last edited:

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello worriedyoungguy

You might have a thyroid problem and this is something I think the doctor would check. It can cause memory problems and a feeling of tiredness/lack of energy. It often goes undiagnosed for ages before it's picked up.

I hate going to the doctor's so I know how you feel about putting it off. But, pluck up the courage and make an appointment. I think the longer it hangs over you the worse you'll end up feeling. Post back and let us know how you get on.

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
Thanks for all the replies that i have recieved so far, obviously i do hope that i do not have dementia.

My memory does seem bad recently i seem to forget quite alot of things, i don't know how rare dementia is in someone my age but i am just hoping that it is something less serious.

The thing is people around me say i'm fine and i have not got anything bad wrong with me but i know my memory has been getting bad recently and sometimes i am just not with it at all, sometimes i forgot what day or date it is, sometimes i cannot remember what i was going to do, sometimes i forget people's names and also i struggle to put a sentence together now and again and i get mumbled with my words and i even dont understand what someone has said sometimes.

Should i be worrying about dementia? i don't know if dementia is an option for someone my age but something is not quite right with me and i have no idea why.

I am on antidepressants for panic attacks, i have been on them for 2 years and i dont think that they would be causing my problems but you never know.

I am very lazy these days as well, i have always been abit lazy but i am lazier than normal.

I will go and see my GP and see what happens, but i'm not sure if a GP would take me seriously, they would probably turn round and say that dementia in someone my age is not an option or something similair.

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
Can i please ask whether anyone on here has known anyone to have dementia around the ages of 25-30 years old? I just wondered how rare it is for dementia to occur in younger people.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello worried young guy

You must get yourself checked by your GP as soon as possible. Let him know just how worried you are.

I have visited 2 homes for AD/dementia sufferers, in the past. The youngest person I saw was in his 40`s. I suppose that doesn`t mean younger people can`t be affected but I have no medical training and your GP is the best person to ask.

Can I just say though, my husband suffers depression and panic attacks, and even though he is a lot older than you, his memory is definitely affected when his depression is at its` worse. On good days his memory is a lot better. Have you thought of keeping a log for good days and bad days, depression wise and measure those against your memory loss.

Do get medical help though and jet us know how you get on.

Best wishes Grannie G

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi worriedyoungguy
Is anything in your every day life worrying you?
Are you married or do you live at home with parents?
Do you have kids and if so does bringing them up worry you?
Trying to get a picture of you life style
Norman.

worriedyoungguy

Aug 10, 2006
Up North
I have a girlfriend and i have one child who is 2 years old and i live with my girlfriend.

I don't work as i haven't been able to work since my panic attacks started although i don't really get them anymore but my energy is always low and at times i get restless and edgy.

I went to my doctor about 2 months ago and told the GP that i feeling like i have no energy all the time, they did a full blood count and everything came back fine no problem.

catm

Jun 13, 2006
Merseyside
Hi,
I was reading your post, and it may be worth taking a B vitamin supplement; lack of B vitamins can cause symptoms of depression, tiredness and lack of energy, but I think going back to the GP for a thyroid test, urine test etc would be a wise idea and insist they take you seriously! Also ask about getting a blood glucose level done, as diabetes could also give you some of the symptoms if left untreated.

Try not to worry too much about it being AD, there are many more things that can cause memory problems than just AD you know! The important thing is to get a proper health check done, and then go from there.

Hope this helps.

Cat