Worried about dad.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello,

Hope you are all not too bad with everything.

A bit of an update on dad. In the last 6 moths he’s fainted twice. Once at home and broke his glasses and had a black eye. He got checked out and the hospital said they couldn’t find anything and was released. The GP said he’s got a bit of a heart issue, but not serious. Last week he was out shopping and fainted again. Was brought home by ambulance and was OK. Turns out he’s got a kidney infection and on antibiotics at the moment. He’s been delirious at night with the infection. A friend checked in on him for me and he seemed ok for a bit ,but got really confused while chatting. He doesn’t drink enough liquid, about 3 small glasses of water a day. Doesn’t eat properly, either.

He is nearly blind with macular degeneration and deaf too. Wears one hearing aid as two makes him dizzy. He doesn’t eat properly and his calories comes from chocolate and booze. He’s been for blood tests and there’s issues with his liver. He said it’s due to him having his gallbladder remover 3 yrs ago. I wonder though.

This week I’m registering POW & POA, don’t think it’ll help really at the moment. I’m also gong to air my concerns with the Dr, but realise that they can’t say much because of Dr & patient confidentiality. I don’t live in the U.K. these days which make it more difficult. Thinking it’s probably coming to the point of having to move back. Dad’s got no family but me.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Do wonder if he’s on his way to getting dementia. It scares him a lot at the idea, since mum and my Uncle died of in in 2019.

Thanks.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It sounds as if your dad is in the wars. Does he have support at home such as carers visiting daily? It sounds as if he needs encouragement to eat and drink properly. Do get your POA registered as soon as you can. What is POW?

You might ask his GP to send a form for him to sign to give permission for the doctor bto talk to you about your dad, if he will sign it.

We don't know how easily you can visit from where you live, but if you can visit now and again you might organise support. A care plan is going to be needed.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
It sounds as if your dad is in the wars. Does he have support at home such as carers visiting daily? It sounds as if he needs encouragement to eat and drink properly. Do get your POA registered as soon as you can. What is POW?

You might ask his GP to send a form for him to sign to give permission for the doctor bto talk to you about your dad, if he will sign it.

We don't know how easily you can visit from where you live, but if you can visit now and again you might organise support. A care plan is going to be needed.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hi MartinWL,

Thanks for your reply. From what I know POW is in relation to health matters unlike the other which is financial. Dad has no support at home like carers only someone doing food shopping. Thanks for the info about the form and Drs will try and get it sorted.

Hope your day is not too bad.