Worried about changes in husband

Anguscat

Jan 21, 2015
My husband has always had slight problems in use of language, both comprehension of and expression of complex concepts. However non verbally he has been a top performer, very good at maths ,and related things. He has held a top job in the oil business and still trains people in sales techniques which does require good expression in a structured context. Recently in the home and personal context he seems to have increasing problems with finding words, using the right word, understanding a complex sentence and memory of what he has been told. He says he has no problems outside of the home. But I have observed he can't relate a story or give a good account of an event. These changes are subtle and I wonder if it's just ageing and life course events as he may be made, happily, redundant soon. He is 62. He does not seem depressed but is often very grumpy. Although he's often been this way over the years. Should I worry

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You worry already so best to get him to a doctor for an initial test who can refer to a memory clinic for further tests. Best to write down all the little changes you have observed as a simple memory test is seldom conclusive. Best of luck.

Anguscat

Jan 21, 2015
You worry already so best to get him to a doctor for an initial test who can refer to a memory clinic for further tests. Best to write down all the little changes you have observed as a simple memory test is seldom conclusive. Best of luck.

Thank you for your response. I don't think he will agree but I will try.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband has always had slight problems in use of language, both comprehension of and expression of complex concepts. However non verbally he has been a top performer, very good at maths ,and related things. He has held a top job in the oil business and still trains people in sales techniques which does require good expression in a structured context. Recently in the home and personal context he seems to have increasing problems with finding words, using the right word, understanding a complex sentence and memory of what he has been told. He says he has no problems outside of the home. But I have observed he can't relate a story or give a good account of an event. These changes are subtle and I wonder if it's just ageing and life course events as he may be made, happily, redundant soon. He is 62. He does not seem depressed but is often very grumpy. Although he's often been this way over the years. Should I worry

This kind of difficulty can be caused by stress, for example....which would make sense given that he is holding down a responsible job whilst under 'threat' of redundancy. So there is not necessarily a problem. However, I agree with Beate, keep a diary if you can, and then you'll have some evidence if and when your husband does need to see a doctor.

Good luck :)

Lindy xx