Worn out and at my wits end

pippin_fort

Sep 8, 2010
My Dad was Sectioned under Section 3 of the Mental Health Act two days after I left for Greece for a break in August. Nice!!!! He has been at the (name of hospital removed) ever since. My life is a total nightmare travelling between Stevenage and my home 30 mins away to be with him and collect the mountain of washing (he is incontinent most of the time) and juggling the needs of two children aged 7 and 11 whilst trying to work a bit to bring extra money in (husband made redundant twice in last two years and now earning two thirds of what he was). I feel like I am either about to explode, implode or crash and burn. We are due to visit the family in Spain over half term and all I can think about is how will my Dad be with my non appearance and what on earth will happen to his washing mountain.

One minute I am asked to get him another pair of slippers so that he has got two because he wets them. I do this and am then told remove the slippers they are no good get some new bigger ones. They now want me to buy some jogging bottoms for him. My father has always dressed impeccably and I know would hate to be dressed thus, but they say that he sometimes undoes his flies in the 'lounge'. I have spent the snatched moments of free time today looking online for pull-on trousers that look a bit more like trousers than jogging bottoms. He has never worn anything resembling a jogging bottom in his life. I know he is ill and that he is not the person that he once was but I am struggling with the prospect of forcing him to dress as he would not want to thereby losing even more dignity.

That is nothing compared to the fact that the hospital removed the Section at the beginning of September and have been playing with his drugs big time ever since without telling me. I only found out when I became alarmed when he was either so drugged up he was asleep on most of my visits at different times of the day or very agitated. They have put him on the highest dose of Momentine. Every time i see him now he has a new injury. He is bruised all over his hands and arms. last Sunday he had an unexplained bash to the head and yesterday his elbow resembled a very large plum it was so swollen and there was a cut on his arm. he had obviously fallen, but no one had noticed or cared. What is really awful is that my father has no speech at all and a high pain threshold. he was probably in serious pain, but could tell no one. They did get a doctor to visit hi, but I was told that there was no need for pain relief as he takes aspirin. Would you be happy with a low dose aspirin once a day for this sort of injury?

On 1st November there is a formal review meeting. At this meeting they will either decide that he needs more monitoring (perish the thought) or will decide that he needs to go on to a dementia nursing home or into continuing care. His previous home have thrown him out (his third since May). I have been told not to bother researching nursing homes. I will be given a list should it be appropriate. What they do not understand is that there is only me to deal with this. My useless brother has abandoned his father and lives in Spain anyway. Also because of the demands of trying to keep my own family going I can't spend huge amounts of time at no notice looking awful places on my own.

The care system sucks. I feel like taking him out of the hospital and sending him on a cruise accompanied by two dementia nurses whilst I try and rest before the next battle. I am beginning to think who will go down first, him or me.

Last edited by a moderator:

boonken

Oct 10, 2011
My Dad was Sectioned under Section 3 of the Mental Health Act two days after I left for Greece for a break in August. Nice!!!! He has been at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage ever since. My life is a total nightmare travelling between Stevenage and my home 30 mins away to be with him and collect the mountain of washing (he is incontinent most of the time) and juggling the needs of two children aged 7 and 11 whilst trying to work a bit to bring extra money in (husband made redundant twice in last two years and now earning two thirds of what he was). I feel like I am either about to explode, implode or crash and burn. We are due to visit the family in Spain over half term and all I can think about is how will my Dad be with my non appearance and what on earth will happen to his washing mountain.

One minute I am asked to get him another pair of slippers so that he has got two because he wets them. I do this and am then told remove the slippers they are no good get some new bigger ones. They now want me to buy some jogging bottoms for him. My father has always dressed impeccably and I know would hate to be dressed thus, but they say that he sometimes undoes his flies in the 'lounge'. I have spent the snatched moments of free time today looking online for pull-on trousers that look a bit more like trousers than jogging bottoms. He has never worn anything resembling a jogging bottom in his life. I know he is ill and that he is not the person that he once was but I am struggling with the prospect of forcing him to dress as he would not want to thereby losing even more dignity.

That is nothing compared to the fact that the hospital removed the Section at the beginning of September and have been playing with his drugs big time ever since without telling me. I only found out when I became alarmed when he was either so drugged up he was asleep on most of my visits at different times of the day or very agitated. They have put him on the highest dose of Momentine. Every time i see him now he has a new injury. He is bruised all over his hands and arms. last Sunday he had an unexplained bash to the head and yesterday his elbow resembled a very large plum it was so swollen and there was a cut on his arm. he had obviously fallen, but no one had noticed or cared. What is really awful is that my father has no speech at all and a high pain threshold. he was probably in serious pain, but could tell no one. They did get a doctor to visit hi, but I was told that there was no need for pain relief as he takes aspirin. Would you be happy with a low dose aspirin once a day for this sort of injury?

On 1st November there is a formal review meeting. At this meeting they will either decide that he needs more monitoring (perish the thought) or will decide that he needs to go on to a dementia nursing home or into continuing care. His previous home have thrown him out (his third since May). I have been told not to bother researching nursing homes. I will be given a list should it be appropriate. What they do not understand is that there is only me to deal with this. My useless brother has abandoned his father and lives in Spain anyway. Also because of the demands of trying to keep my own family going I can't spend huge amounts of time at no notice looking awful places on my own.

The care system sucks. I feel like taking him out of the hospital and sending him on a cruise accompanied by two dementia nurses whilst I try and rest before the next battle. I am beginning to think who will go down first, him or me.

Unfortunately Pipin we have a very poor care system at the moment, but he is your Dad and forget about what your brother is doing, what you do is making a difference.

You have a very long road ahead of you and it gets no easier.

Do what you can and so long as you know you have, you can do no more!

Craig

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Pippin

Sorry to hear about all the problems with your dad right now. First thing I would stop doing is the laundry. If you dad is incontinent then tell them that the risk of infection and contamination of your washing machine when you have young children is just not on. They have laundry facilities in the hospitals which run at much higher temperatures for starters and they shouldn't be sending soiled clothing home with you ! My mother has been in hospital for months now and they do her laundry for this very reason.

With regards to the jogging bottoms - the ones that Granny G pointed out are great and probably have been suggested for the whole issue about laundring and keeping infection at bay. You can still honour his dress sense by having nice shirts or sweaters can't you?

Craig is right, you are doing your best and no one can ask, expect or demand anything more of you.

Fiona

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Pippen_fort. I am sorry you having such a difficult time.

The issue of jogging bottoms is one that we faced, my FIL never considered that he was dressed when wearing them. For him, for years, it had to be smart trousers and shirts, and hankies in his pockets, anything else and he refused to come downstairs. It is part of the sadness.

You are facing a sad time, it is hard, but I want to send you a hug and some sympathy, and to say that your father would probably understand if he was well. I'm sure that no one would choose to live in an EMI nursing home, but i do believe that many are good and the staff are caring. Probably no where will be perfect, but for us, we believe that FIL did receive good care. He was never forced to do anything he didn't want to do, he was able to get up when he wanted to and go to bed when he decided it was time, frequently at the wrong times and in the wrong place. He never liked the lounge and he was never made to go there. He was allowed as much freedom of movement as safety allowed. Most of all, for us, I think we knew that he received the 24/7 care that we could no longer give at home.

I hope the meeting has a good outcome for you all.

Please don't be hard on yourself. You are doing a brilliant job and you have a family to think of too. My very best wishes to you xx