Worldwide cost of AD

McK

Sep 13, 2005
Pgh. Pa. USA
(Source: Alzheimer's Association) - According to the Alzheimer's Association, the total worldwide cost of dementia is now estimated to be $315.4 billion annually-higher than the total budget of all but eight of the world's countries.

According to the researchers, the highest costs occur in North America and Europe. The total cost for an individual country is highest in the U.S. at $76 billion, followed by Japan at $34 billion and China at $30 billion.

It is now estimated that 29.3 million persons suffer from Alzheimer's disease worldwide.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
As my generation (Baby Boomers) are said to be the largest population group and we are (mostly) not yet in the AD category, it makes you wonder what will happen to these costs in the foreseeable future. I shudder to think how we might be treated in the future.

Ever since my Mum was identified as having AD and especially since Dad died, I've been boring every one I know about making proper preparations for their old age! POAs, living wills, etc. Unfortunately, most of my friends think they are going to go on as they are now, and fail to see that old age creeps up insidiously.

I sincerely hope they (and I!) are still hale and hearty to the end! But I know only too well, that isn't always the way. Nell

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I suspect the fact that costs are higher in North America and Europe is because there is a higher standard of living. What happens in a third world country where they do not have the money or perhaps even the access to AD drugs?

Total costs for the U.S. makes sense, as there is no national health service, or very little. I hear horror stories from my American friends all the time. Japan is an expensive country. China has lots of people, so that's logical. More people, more dementia, more costs.

What to do when we get older? It is REALLY frightening. Researchers are confident they will definitely have something in 10 to 20 years. I hope that's not too late for me. I'm 53. My mother was diagnosed at 64.

I do not know how I would react or what I would do if I were diagnosed with AD. I would rather have anything else.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I thought that having looked after elderly people in the previous generation and then looking after my father, my mother would have been better prepared, but her only form of preparation was to tell us repeatedly that she was going to die soon anyway.

Who am I going to put in my POA? I don't want my brother or niece making such decisions for me, though hope I'll always keep in touch with them. I don't know anyone in the next generation whom I'd trust.

Lila

Nell said:
Ever since my Mum was identified as having AD and especially since Dad died, I've been boring every one I know about making proper preparations for their old age! POAs, living wills, etc. Unfortunately, most of my friends think they are going to go on as they are now, and fail to see that old age creeps up insidiously.

I sincerely hope they (and I!) are still hale and hearty to the end! But I know only too well, that isn't always the way. Nell

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
My view is that 10 to 15 years time there will be a cure. The problem of this disease will hit the governments concerned and they will plough money in for research. If as much time, effort & money was shown to AD as has been shown to AIDS or cancer - in no way am i saying these illnesses are not worthy of research or money - then a better future would be had for all. Perhaps 1 years "defence" budget could be used for research and not for "defence".
cris

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Lila

Who am I going to put in my POA?

That only leave your local authority to be your appointee
and give them your will.

The way my local authority runs is they only look at what happening for the year 2007/8.
When assessing my mother care

So they do not look ahead how the disease is going to progress when assessing my mother needs until it happen , that could be the key issue why they don't care when they read reports like this

According to the Alzheimer's Association, the total worldwide cost of dementia is now estimated to be $315.4 billion annually-higher than the total budget of all but eight of the world's countries.

According to the researchers, the highest costs occur in North America and Europe. The total cost for an individual country is highest in the U.S. at $76 billion, followed by Japan at $34 billion and China at $30 billion.

It is now estimated that 29.3 million persons suffer from Alzheimer's disease worldwide

Thats just for us the
Public propaganda ,