1. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Just we can all laugh even more at all the nonsense people spout and the 'promises like pie-crusts'...... that's the politicians, not Tpers, you understand.....

Dick, I trust you are reserving 'prime slot' for your PPBs!!!!;) You've got my vote anyway, of course!!!!!

Love, Karen, x

2. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #22 Margarita, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
    Oh dear had it all ready what I was going to post till I read along to Dick post . be right back as I get over from laughing with tears :) :) :) :) :) good one Dick

PS

We carer save the government 43 billon a year.

Tender Face when my mother went in to emergency respite I wanted to get a job in that care home was told that I could not get a job at the same place my mother is staying. Your idea sounds so good :)

3. intensityp

intensityp Registered User

Aug 16, 2006
    no comparrison

I did not give birth to my parents (just incase you did not know this)... I care and support my two children and also help my mother care for my dad.... i get no monies from this.. my mum gets carers allowance...but if I was the sole carer for my dad I would expect financial help....I could be giving up a career and with children most budgets are tight enough...Amy you sound like a very angry person or a very hurt one... what happened to you

4. RussellC

RussellC Registered User

Jul 6, 2006
    The political situation for carers is dire. We do not get proper help because the people we care for tend to be old. We also tend not to make a fuss as we use up all our energy in caring for our loved ones.

It is tragic that the Secretary of State prefers to have a debate about funding for rather than taking firm action now. The plight of carers is well known and has been well known for years. There is lots of sympathy from everyone but little action. The expense of care homes would be reduced if a proper carer's allowance were available. Much of the isolation and frustration would be taken away if carers felt valued by the authorities. Modest support in the form of trained homecare would make a big difference.

Terror laws can be put on the statute books in days. Why can not an improved carers allowance provided in days?

My decision is to stand as a Parliamentary Candidate in the next election for the Hertford and Stortford constituency. If 200 other carers or former carers did the same in other constituencies, particularly in marginal constituencies, we might move the talking to action. Alzheimer's disease touches so many that our views would actually be listened to if we presented them well enough

I would of course draw on my own experiences of AD and the current system but would need to draw on your experiences to put forward ideas for credible changes. I am shortly leaving work to care for my father and will make the time to prepare properly for a 2009 election.

Any better ideas?

Russell

5. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Good luck Russell even though i am in Scotland. Will it be all right if i pass this sites address on to my MSP? This will show him that it is throughout the country
    Russell you will see from my previous posts Nursing homes will not take my husband as he is too young there is major problems for younger people with Dementia as well. YOU HAVE MY VOTE. (wrong country/area though)
    You made me laugh anyway.

6. RussellC

RussellC Registered User

Jul 6, 2006
    Nadia I will follow up as you suggest. The more knowledge and help the better.

Chip I am glad you have got a laugh - an early success in my political career!! It is a great idea to let the MSP know this site's address. I think this site reflects the reality of the life that many carers and AD sufferers lead. It certainly gives an overview of the day to day problems and the more MPs are aware of those the better. Following on from your idea I will write to my MP to let him know about the site and will also tell him I am after his job.

It is a scandal that Nursing Home care is not available to your husband because he is too young. This will form part of my argument for better services. It doesn't matter that you are in Scotland, its s great boost to get your vote of confidence.

Very best wishes to you.

Russell

7. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
    it will be interesting when i have your face and party up on my window or i'm asked who i will be voting for.I can just see the puzzled faces. Who it that? Oh he is standing in England but he knows how bad things are in the caring world so i am voting for him. The only sad thing is its 3 years away. Things will be worse for a lot of us by then and there could be a lot more of us.
    Let us no what your MP says about after his job. Well how many carers lost their jobs?