Working whilst living with PWD

Helsy27

Dec 20, 2016
Hi
My dad is 80 and has Llewy Bodies Dementia and he is living with me and if my dad gets this virus it will probably kill him. I am having to work at the moment as I'm a chef in a nursing home so I'm classed as a key worker. I am finding it highly stressful at the moment going to work as when I ask people to respect the 2m distant apart I am getting laughed at. I have today snapped at a co-worker because I asked them to move out of the space where I was working and they laughed. I don't know what to do. Apart from going to work I'm not going out the house. I feel like packing my job in. I have enough money for maybe 4 or 5 months as I won't be going out to spend it. Do you think its worth having a chat with my dr. to see if he would sign me off. My anxiety levels are through the roof and I'm not usually like that. I really have no one else to talk to as my manager isn't even respecting the 2m distance when she comes in the kitchen. I just can't handle it anymore.
Sorry for the long post

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
How disrespectful of your manager & colleagues. I would definitely speak to your GP & get signed off.

Helsy27

Dec 20, 2016
How disrespectful of your manager & colleagues. I would definitely speak to your GP & get signed off.
Thank you, I will try and get an appointment. I feel better knowing there's people on here who understand what I'm going through.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I absolutely agree that you should speak to your GP. I think their attitude is totally unacceptable.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Helsy27
you need to look after yourself, that's for sure

maybe put in writing to your manager what your concerns are ... maybe they have forgotten that you have someone so vulnerable at home
I appreciate that hands on care in a care home makes distancing tricky, but in a kitchen I would think it is possible and desirable, especially given you are preparing the food for all residents so contamination of any kind needs to be considered
does your line manager have a manager, I'd drop them a line too as they need to know some sensible precautions are slipping

Helsy27

Dec 20, 2016
hi @Helsy27
you need to look after yourself, that's for sure

maybe put in writing to your manager what your concerns are ... maybe they have forgotten that you have someone so vulnerable at home
I appreciate that hands on care in a care home makes distancing tricky, but in a kitchen I would think it is possible and desirable, especially given you are preparing the food for all residents so contamination of any kind needs to be considered
does your line manager have a manager, I'd drop them a line too as they need to know some sensible precautions are slipping
Thank you, I will have a chat with my manager next time I'm in work, then take it from there.