Working together document

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
Mum has had CHC funding for 12months, they CHC now want us to sign a Working Together Document. It doesn't sit right for me as although it will pull the Agency up on a few lacking details ( primarily documentation) it appears that I may be losing my POA if I sign....CCG and Agency will discuss any future care planning, everything they will decide in Mum's best interests, etc etc I will be informed of the outcome. Mum lives with us at home, I have been her main carer for 5 years and I'm not comfortable with signing
I cannot find anything online apart from the Childrens doc.
Does anyone have experience please TIA x

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
This sounds worrying. I understand it has to do with safeguarding issues but do not have experience in relation to CHC. But it seems you are right to find out more before taking action, I too would be very hesitant to release my POA. Are they willing to clarify? Alternatively could you get advice from the Office of the Public Guardian? I'm sure someone on Talking Point will be able to direct you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sorry I’ve no experience to help @pinkwizard1 but I wondered if someone on the Dementia Connect Suppport Line would be able to help -

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
This sounds worrying. I understand it has to do with safeguarding issues but do not have experience in relation to CHC. But it seems you are right to find out more before taking action, I too would be very hesitant to release my POA. Are they willing to clarify? Alternatively could you get advice from the Office of the Public Guardian? I'm sure someone on Talking Point will be able to direct you.
Hadn't thought of the Office of the Public Guardian, thank you x

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Your rights as Attorney can't be taken away by the local authority or the NHS. Only the Office of the Public Guardian or the Court of Protection can do that, and they would only do so if you failed to act in you mother's best interests or you were incapable yourself.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I wonder if a similar approach is taken with a person with capacity.
Does the person get a letter requesting that they agree to their care planning be discussed and decided without their involvement?
If not the CCG may be in breach of the Equality Act 2010.

What happens if you ignore the letter or reply rejecting their proposal and asking to be involved in any discussions?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Mum has had CHC funding for 12months, they CHC now want us to sign a Working Together Document. It doesn't sit right for me as although it will pull the Agency up on a few lacking details ( primarily documentation) it appears that I may be losing my POA if I sign....CCG and Agency will discuss any future care planning, everything they will decide in Mum's best interests, etc etc I will be informed of the outcome. Mum lives with us at home, I have been her main carer for 5 years and I'm not comfortable with signing
I cannot find anything online apart from the Childrens doc.
Does anyone have experience please TIA x
Surely you remain as PoA whether your mother receives CHC or not? And surely all decisions are made in your mum's best interests anyway?

I'm wondering if by signing this Document you'd be giving up your say in where your mum lives? What I mean is that presumably it would cost them less to move your mother to a care home than to continue paying for her to be cared for at your home. Is that what they're up to perhaps?

Whatever it is it sounds weasily! I think you're right to be uncomfortable signing and as @nitram says, I also wonder what would happen if you refused and I'd want some clarification as to why they want you to sign anyway, i.e. exactly what difference it would make from how things are done now.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
The Office said to take Legal Advice but they are only aware of death, loss of Advocates mental capacity or a Safeguarding issue would make them remove it
I thought that might be the case. @MartinWL is right. Do not sign anything where you feel you would lose your rights. If you can get legal advice to put your mind at rest, please do so. I'm surprised the Office of Public Guardian was not able to give more concrete guidance. I feel the health service and local authorities are way to quick to make decisions and implement their decisions without fully involving those with POA.

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
Surely you remain as PoA whether your mother receives CHC or not? And surely all decisions are made in your mum's best interests anyway?

I'm wondering if by signing this Document you'd be giving up your say in where your mum lives? What I mean is that presumably it would cost them less to move your mother to a care home than to continue paying for her to be cared for at your home. Is that what they're up to perhaps?

Whatever it is it sounds weasily! I think you're right to be uncomfortable signing and as @nitram says, I also wonder what would happen if you refused and I'd want some clarification as to why they want you to sign anyway, i.e. exactly what difference it would make from how things are done now.
Fortunately, it's cheaper at home. I can assure the CCG she's not going anywhere, at 100 and 5months old, that is nothing short of abuse. I'm not signing and if we have to pay for care, so be it, but that would be them breaking the kaw, as well they know it. I'm taking Legal advice bext week and I will remain pivotal in her care until she leaves this world ?

pinkwizard1

Oct 9, 2017
I wonder if a similar approach is taken with a person with capacity.
Does the person get a letter requesting that they agree to their care planning be discussed and decided without their involvement?
If not the CCG may be in breach of the Equality Act 2010.

What happens if you ignore the letter or reply rejecting their proposal and asking to be involved in any discussions?
Hmmm, that's an interesting point of view! Certainly working keeping in mind, thank you