Word of Warning!

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Just a word of warning to anyone considering sending a Power of Attorney document to British Gas. After two months of trying to get the POA back from British Gas, they're now claiming they sent it back recorded delivery and it has been signed for. I've not received it and my neighbours aren't the type to hang onto something for me if they'd signed for it. I asked British Gas for the tracking number so I can trace it myself but they've refused! I'm lodging a formal complaint but in the meantime a word of warning to anyone contemplating lodging a POA with British Gas - send a copy!!!

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Just an idea but my postman sometimes sticks recorded post through my door to save me collecting it later BUT and this is what I don't agree with he must sign for it himself surely by signing my name! It does help me save time and it's not usually an important item but it does annoy me.

Hopefully the tracking process will show you what happened in your case.

Ps. I know someone else whose postman does the same, miles away from me.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Oh dear. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon and sorted to your satisfaction.

I trust you have a certified copy still as I believe it's possible to create another original LPA from one

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You should never send an original copy in the post to anyone, that's what certified copies are for.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Liz, just wanted to post my own experiences ref British Gas. Just before Dad was suddenly taken ill he sent letter to British Gas requesting all correspondence sent to me and I was to be his representative. What a performance they messed up the direct debit I set up. They sent poor dad threatening letters, warning of court for non payment etc. The poor man was petrified he thought he was going to prison!! They were rude and unhelpful when I rang. I went round in circles for approx 2 weeks, I was so annoyed in fact all this really affected Dad. He was rushed into hospital, his mindset really affected he thought he was really going to prison. All the other utility companies were fantastic.
I think that these big companies should offer extra training to staff when dealing with dementia/Cop/power of attorney etc. They are very dismissive and in fact stated they would only speak to Dad, he was in a locked unit at the time. I am now struggling to speak to the tax office, held on for over 40 mins today. I can relate to your frustration. X

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Hi Liz, just wanted to post my own experiences ref British Gas. Just before Dad was suddenly taken ill he sent letter to British Gas requesting all correspondence sent to me and I was to be his representative. What a performance they messed up the direct debit I set up. They sent poor dad threatening letters, warning of court for non payment etc. The poor man was petrified he thought he was going to prison!! They were rude and unhelpful when I rang. I went round in circles for approx 2 weeks, I was so annoyed in fact all this really affected Dad. He was rushed into hospital, his mindset really affected he thought he was really going to prison. All the other utility companies were fantastic.
I think that these big companies should offer extra training to staff when dealing with dementia/Cop/power of attorney etc. They are very dismissive and in fact stated they would only speak to Dad, he was in a locked unit at the time. I am now struggling to speak to the tax office, held on for over 40 mins today. I can relate to your frustration. X

When my husband passed away, I attempted to get our telephone account (with the post office at the time) changed to my name. I had been paying the bill via direct debit for many years. The Post Office refused to change the account without speaking to "the account holder". I explained he'd passed and sent a copy of the death certificate but still they refused to speak to me until he'd authorised it! In the end I closed the account. Their loss!

On hearing that the POA hadn't been received by me, the customer service (I use the term loosely) person at British Gas said "I've given you all the information I'm required to give you" and absolutely refused to provide any information that might be useful for me to trace the missing letter. I asked to be put through to someone who could help me and that was refused. As soon as this mess is sorted out, I'll be closing mum's account and moving to somewhere else. Again, their loss!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Liz57.
My advise would be to bypass customer services etc and go directly to the top.
If you email him/her then you leave a paper trail so to speak.
I ended up doing this with a well known supermarket which had been causing problems with my grocery deliveries, when I'd got fed up with customer services not doing owt.
Strangely my problem got sorted quickly .

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I had a terrible experience with Sky. They refused to cancel the dd for tv without original poa. I refused and battled for months. Finally customer services admitted poa was not even needed. £360 paid when not required. I was promised a refund but 2 months later nothing.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with Beate. Some organisations shred POAs (actual or certified copies) after checking them, so if you want your copy returned you need to make this very clear - a big bold sticker attached should work. If they do destroy a copy you should be able to get them to compensate you at least for the cost of a replacement but it's all hassle.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Wonder if some of the companies would sharpen up their act if they were 'named and shamed' publicly for this appalling service? Programmes like 'Watchdog' and 'Rip-Off Britain' are always appealing for people to contact them with problems and they often seem to get results.

I bet there are enough TPers with experiences like these to make a whole programme, especially if you include the scammers abusing the vulnerable as well as the rubbish service when carers are already stressed.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Our gas account with British Gas is in my husband's sole name and they always wanted to talk to him. I explained why this was not possible as he has severe dementia and they suggested changing the account to joint names but in order to do this they wanted him to confirm his full name, dob etc over the phone. I explained again this was impossible. They also said if it tranferred to joint names the dd would have to be cancelled and restarted despite the fact it would still come from the same joint account. I said I had far more important things to do with my time i.e looking after my husband rather than jump through hoops for them. I told the then sympathetic person that I had POA but would not send one of my precious certified copies to them unless I could send it recorded delivery for the attention of a named person. They were unable to offer this but suggested I sent in a photocopy of the POA together with a covering letter explaining our difficulties. Within a fortnight I had a letter from them apologising for how we had been treated and confirming we were on the tariff we wanted and that they had now noted they could talk to me.
No problems since....this was all done a couple of years back. Don't like to think what will happen it they upgrade their computer system,
Tre

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
I had no problems with the utility companies but Halifax House Insurance and Homeserve were a completely different matter. It's a complete disgrace actually I must get back on the case. Dad is paying insurance on a house he no longer owns and on appliances that no longer exist.

ratlady

Sep 21, 2015
I had no problems with the utility companies but Halifax House Insurance and Homeserve were a completely different matter. It's a complete disgrace actually I must get back on the case. Dad is paying insurance on a house he no longer owns and on appliances that no longer exist.

Homeserve are very good at persuading elderly people in the early stages of demetia to take out insurance when they already have it! Unfortunately it took for my Mum to get to the next stage and lose capacity for me to find out she had been conned, and cancel it when it was due for renewal.

Having said that every 2 weeks they send another "this is your last chance to renew, you are at risk blah blah blah..." trying to frighten her into a further term.

They are sick...........

Terrypm

Nov 1, 2015
terrypm

You should never send an original copy in the post to anyone, that's what certified copies are for.

I didn't know you could get certified copies, would all accept and how do you go about getting them.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I didn't know you could get certified copies, would all accept and how do you go about getting them.

Hello Terrypm. This link should help
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify
Everyone should accept a certified copy. However I have read on here where some places have refused.
If this happens I suggest you contact the OPG for advise.

If you use a professional do shop around as their fees do vary.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour