Won't wake up

placey

Sep 3, 2012
My MIL has twice been very hard to rouse in a morning, just kept going back to sleep. Yesterday, it took over an hour for her to come round. The doctor said it is part of the dementia. Has anybody else had a similar experience?
Placey

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Yes, the same thing happened to my husband on several days last week. Fortunately I had read other's accounts about it on the forum before, so I knew it was all part and parcel of the dementia and as a result, I was less worried.

My husband has been doing a bit better since the weekend. I was able to get him up at 7am today. That was good as it meant I could get him ready for the day before I started work.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's the same, the staff in the home told me it's very common and as they're not allowed to wake people up other than gently some people can still be in bed well into the morning. That said her activity records show sometimes she's up until after midnight or gets up in the night so they make her some Horlicks (other, frankly in my view horrible drinks are available) then wait until she gets tired again.
Times on the clock become an irrelevance to someone with AZ.
k

placey

Sep 3, 2012
Yes, the same thing happened to my husband on several days last week. Fortunately I had read other's accounts about it on the forum before, so I knew it was all part and parcel of the dementia and as a result, I was less worried.

My husband has been doing a bit better since the weekend. I was able to get him up at 7am today. That was good as it meant I could get him ready for the day before I started work.

Thanks for that. We were worried but it seems to be part and parcel of the condition.
My heart goes out to you, a husband with dementia and you're still working age.
Hope you enjoy your work and your colleagues are kind.
Placey

placey

Sep 3, 2012
My wife's the same, the staff in the home told me it's very common and as they're not allowed to wake people up other than gently some people can still be in bed well into the morning. That said her activity records show sometimes she's up until after midnight or gets up in the night so they make her some Horlicks (other, frankly in my view horrible drinks are available) then wait until she gets tired again.
Times on the clock become an irrelevance to someone with AZ.
k

Thank you for that. The Dr said it's quite common, but it isn't the same as actually being in contact with people with experience!
Placey

Ecognome

Aug 28, 2016
France
My MIL has twice been very hard to rouse in a morning, just kept going back to sleep. Yesterday, it took over an hour for her to come round. The doctor said it is part of the dementia. Has anybody else had a similar experience?
Placey

Hi!
My OH sleeps about 14 to 16 hrs a day!
Serious stroke sufferer the docs put it down to "stroke fatigue"!
She says it just takes longer to recharge her batteries!