Wont go out

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
Me again! We have had a bad few days with mum and now she seems to be giving up, just wants to stay sitting in her chair, she doesn't want to be out and about, she is supposed to go to an armchair exercise class on a Thursday, it's only an hour and does her good but today she says she doesn't feel well enough and wants to stay where she is safe, it's hard to know if this is part of the illness or a new thing, I think she is becoming depressed, she has mixed dementia, vascular and Alzheimer's, is this normal? X

Livveywills

Jul 11, 2015
Me again! We have had a bad few days with mum and now she seems to be giving up, just wants to stay sitting in her chair, she doesn't want to be out and about, she is supposed to go to an armchair exercise class on a Thursday, it's only an hour and does her good but today she says she doesn't feel well enough and wants to stay where she is safe, it's hard to know if this is part of the illness or a new thing, I think she is becoming depressed, she has mixed dementia, vascular and Alzheimer's, is this normal? X

Depression can be a big part of Vascula dementia. My mother is on anti depressants but I can really identify with the saying she feels ill when not wanting to go out. The frustrating thing is that when she doesn't go to daycare etc she gets far more depressed and lonely. We do our best to get her out of the door no matter what. (don't always succeed) It's a little bit like my 5 year old not wanting to go to school, I know she will enjoy it when she gets there.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
Depression can be a big part of Vascula dementia. My mother is on anti depressants but I can really identify with the saying she feels ill when not wanting to go out. The frustrating thing is that when she doesn't go to daycare etc she gets far more depressed and lonely. We do our best to get her out of the door no matter what. (don't always succeed) It's a little bit like my 5 year old not wanting to go to school, I know she will enjoy it when she gets there.

Thanks for that, I've cancelled her transport but can take her myself if need be but she is adamant that she isn't going so we shall see.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Just a thought - there are a lot of bugs about, might she actually be going down with something - maybe a couple of paracetomol will help?
could a UTI be in the offing?

my dad too takes an anti-depressant, it really did seem to help him when he started on it - of course it's hard to tell its effects now, but I'd hesitate to agree if it was suggested he come off, seeing the difference it made at first

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

That last line made me smile Livvey. OH sometimes does enjoy a meal or an outing when we finally get there after making a rather childish fuss before we leave. Other times she is genuinely tired or just having a bad day due to an infection or something hard to put your finger on.
Best plan is to see how she is later and try again tomorrow, if it happens two or three days in a row then it may be time to call the doctor.

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
Just a thought - there are a lot of bugs about, might she actually be going down with something - maybe a couple of paracetomol will help?
could a UTI be in the offing?

my dad too takes an anti-depressant, it really did seem to help him when he started on it - of course it's hard to tell its effects now, but I'd hesitate to agree if it was suggested he come off, seeing the difference it made at first

Because mum wasn't well at weekend, confused, even more so, etc we got wee sample checked out, all clear, we are wondering if she has actually had another TIA and this has contributed to the last seven days deterioration, she has been taking Memantine since before Christmas and tabs increased by 5mg at weekend so we did wonder if it was that but she's been fine until last Thursday when suddenly things have taken a turn downhill

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I know what you mean about the possibility of more TIAs - same with dad, we suspect he has more, but there's no way to tell and nothing to do for him - he's in a care home, so well monitored

go have a chat with your mum's GP, or ask for a home visit - won't do any harm to keep them in the picture, and may put your mind at rest

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
I know what you mean about the possibility of more TIAs - same with dad, we suspect he has more, but there's no way to tell and nothing to do for him - he's in a care home, so well monitored

go have a chat with your mum's GP, or ask for a home visit - won't do any harm to keep them in the picture, and may put your mind at rest

Thank you xx