Witnessed theft on web-cam today!

Aquaria

Dec 10, 2012
I feel mentally drained. This afternoon I logged on via a web-cam to check on mum who is still in her own home, and saw a thief take her purse from her coffee table, and make a quick exit past her. I was so shocked I failed to capture the event as I was more concerned to get her on the phone and get her to close her front door to stop him from getting back in. It was 2pm and she was still in a nightie.
The police are involved and they have cctv of the culprit - a man selling table cloths - apparently!
I'm 90 miles away. She can't recall anything now. I'm not looking for answers to questions. I just want to tell someone how utterly helpless the situation is. How you can't protect the ones you love. The world is full of nasty mean people. How no-one has the answer. How no local authority, group, organisation, home, club etc is able to offer a solution to suit our needs. My mum is very independent; came to England as a displaced person after WW2; has suffered and is a survivor; belongs to a shrinking ethnic community where no-one can deal with my mum's illness; she is lonely and vulnerable, and yet I cannot accommodate her in my own home as I and my husband need to work. She doesn't want to come anyway. No idea what to do. I just want to sleep now.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh how awful. Your poor mum. Poor you. I do hope they get this despicable person. You must be frantic. I hope you managea peaceful night. x

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
what a bloody terrible thing to see and not be able to help or protect your mum I just don't know how bad that must feel. I do hope your mum doesn't realise what has happened today or she would be so scared. sorry for the sick people we have in society today. juniepoonie

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Dreadful! I hope the police catch the culprit and he/she gets a stiff sentence and not just a warning. I would err towards hard labour rather than a prison sentence.

I am so sorry.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Aquaria - I am so sorry to read this, how dreadful for you.

Would your Mum having a Telecare system with alarms give her and you more peace of mind?

The system is mentioned half way down on this page http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=109

I do hope you can sort something out and this evil person is caught. Is your Mum registered with the local police as a vulnerable person? I had Mum registered and I know a few people who have done the same and it does mean that you can get quicker responses usually and they are aware if there are any local issues.

Take care and hope your Mum is OK

Celia

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am so sorry to that you have had to experience such a thing:eek: it is dreadful to feel so helpless. I sincerely hope this person is caught so that other vulnerable people are protected.

Love

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
What a shocking act, and how dreadful for you to witness.I hope when he/she is caught he /she is named and shamed. I also hope some do-gooder doesn't stand up in court and give lame excuses for this atrocious behaviour.

So sorry

Lyn T

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Oh and I meant to say - my daughter (she's 20) was attacked and beaten up recently (thankfully no permanent damage). The two people who did it are obviously horrible awful people - but what made me feel better about it was the amount of lovely people who intervened, comforted my daughter, called the police and sat on the culprits until they arrived. At least 20 random people who happened to be nearby responded in just the way you would hope. Good people outweigh the bad by many times (though I am sure it doesn't feel like this at the moment).

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
This is absolutely disgusting. I hope that cruel thief never has a peaceful night's sleep ever again. I'm not usually so vehement but this is just apalling. How do people like that live with themselves?

Big hugs to you and your mum.