Without Family

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
Hi All ive noticed over the last couple of months a couple of posts which ask what happens to people who have no family. Im afraid that's where i come in, in my role as a social worker. I have organised house clearences, funeral's, court of protection u name it ive done it. My main aim is to ensure the well-being of all my client's but this is where i differ from most of you, i can walk away at the end of the day. I feel humbled that at least on TP u care about your loved one's. I hope you don't mind but i want to share a little story. I was involved with a sister and her brother who both had alzheimer's but no family to look after them. They lived apart but took it in turn to visit each other until hospitilisation for both of them. The brother sadly died and i along with his sister's friends organised a simple memorial service for him. The brother was a architect and sister a teacher. She is currently in a nursing home. The sister had survived her husband and they did not have children. I guess what i am trying to say is that a lot of older people live alone without anyone and i feel it is the responsibility of all members of society to look out for each other. Sadly in this country this is not always the case and i feel anger and sadness that it happens. Shauny.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Shauny,
Thank you - you made me think. You say 'I can walk away at the end of the day'- the fact that you are posting here suggests to me that you don't simply walk away.
Amy

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
shauny said:
The sister had survived her husband and they did not have children. I guess what i am trying to say is that a lot of older people live alone without anyone and i feel it is the responsibility of all members of society to look out for each other.

Shauny, couldn't agree with you more, and hugely applaud you...

I hope it's not inappropriate to say that this post just made me think of 'Goodbye, Mr Chips'. No family - but the hugest family????!!!!

I know how I have wished over the years I could have found a way of 'thanking' what I thought of then as my 'Draconian' maths teacher ... or primary school teacher who first interested me in guitar etc etc etc.... I wonder with resources like 'Schools Reunited' (sensitively 'orchestrated') would any ex-pupils appreciate a chance to visit their ex-teacher? Would her memory still allow her to appreciate 'pupils past', if they cared to do it.....?

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I know an old lady of 96 who was brought up in a children's home and has never had any relations that she has known about. She looked after other people as a housekeeper or companion until they died or went into a care home.
When she first received her old age pension she thought she was really lucky. She has stubbornly refused to go into care, although quite unable to manage all her affairs. She is quite mobile with a stick and attends church every Sunday, joining in the hymns. The church secretary keeps an eye on her and has EPA.
I'm amazed at how well she's been able to live by herself and I don't think she's even got a TV set. I think the Social Services provide meals on wheels, carers and a home help for her. She does get a bit confused, due to her age but I'm sure she hasn't got dementia. It is sad that some people don't have any relatives, so it is good to have caring social workers like Shauny.
Kayla

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
Thank you for your reply's il just keep on plodding on. The reason why i can walk away at the end of the day is in a emotional sense im not family and i need to keep that emotional distance if i am to give and provide advice appropraitely. However i am a naturally caring person so yes i do think about my emotions in my job. Shauny

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
tender face

Hi im afraid the lady's memory would not allow her to remember her former pupils, though i have been in touch with some of them. Im afraid this disease does not respect anything. Shauny