Withdrawing continuous care

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
I know nothing about continuous care, but my friend has a friend who she has deputyship ( I think that is the correct term) for, who has had continuous care for quite some time. As far as I can tell she is so ill she cannot do anything for herself or even speak or swallow. She is fed intravenously.
But now they have been informed that her continuous care is being stopped & her house is to be sold to pay for the care in the nursing home.
Is there anything my friend can do about this withdrawal? Can they do this to her funding? (I guess the answer to that is yes).

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I know nothing about continuous care, but my friend has a friend who she has deputyship ( I think that is the correct term) for, who has had continuous care for quite some time. As far as I can tell she is so ill she cannot do anything for herself or even speak or swallow. She is fed intravenously.
But now they have been informed that her continuous care is being stopped & her house is to be sold to pay for the care in the nursing home.
Is there anything my friend can do about this withdrawal? Can they do this to her funding? (I guess the answer to that is yes).

http://www.beaconchc.co.uk/

I have been advised the above people are good and reasonably priced.
I do think the NHS and LA'S try it on as evidenced by the Social Worker saying I would have to sell a bungalow I owned to pay her fees.

William

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Yes CHC funding can be withdrawn-but equally it can be reinstated if your friend wishes to appeal and is successful.

One of our members (jasmineflower) used the company William mentioned. I've highlighted the information she gave below

When we were in the same position as you we contacted a company called Beacon that gave us lots of advice on the process. I think the consultation cost us about £50 but their advice saved us a fortune.

Last edited:

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Yes CHC funding can be withdrawn-but equally it can be reinstated if your friend wishes to appeal.

One of our members (jasmineflower) used the company William mentioned. I've highlighted the information she gave below

When we were in the same position as you we contacted a company called Beacon that gave us lots of advice on the process. I think the consultation cost us about £50 but their advice saved us a fortune.

I am glad the company has been recommended by somebody else as well.
From my experience I would say you are taking legal action and leave it for a day before making an appointment to get legal advice.
We said we were going to get a solicitor involved in relation to my step mother's fees as the meeting ended in stalemate.
About 2 hours later we had a call from the CHC nurse asking us to return to the hospital.
I asked if we needed a solicitor but she said come and involve a solicitor if we did not agree with what she said.
She said a review had taken place and CHC funding had been granted for 3 months and another review would then take place.
She then said if she did not qualify at that point CHC funding would continue for another 3 months and if it was decided she did not qualify she said we could appeal and appeals were taking 6 months to be heard and the NHS would pay during that time.
The nurse said it was unlikely my step mother would be alive in 6 months anyway.
As it happened my step mother only lived for a week in care.

William

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan