Withdrawal from Exelon (Rivastigmine)

susankell

Feb 9, 2011
luton
Dear All

I am writing to seek advice from anyone who has had experience of their loved one being taken off this drug. Our Community Psych Nurse has been trying to take our father off this drug for the past year. On her last visit a couple of weeks ago she said they would be withdrawing it as she did not believe it was of any help to him any more. This is because it is supposed to be for people in the mild - moderate stages of Alzheimer's and Dad is in the late stage. They did stop the drug this week and Dad had severe withdrawal symptoms including shaking, convulsing, jerking, twitching, hallucinating, and was unable to sleep for 18 hours until I called in an emergency doctor in the middle of the night who administered a sedative. I am horrified he was put through this and cannot understand why it was withdrawn totally (he was on 2 x 6mg capsules per day) instead of him being slowly weaned off it. The dosage was gradually introduced until he was on 12mg so surely it should have been gradually reduced? There is supposed to be another drug - Ebixa - for people in the late stages but this unavailable in our area at present so he does not have access to this. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Luckily, I contacted our GP who put him back on it the next day but it has had a disastrous effect on his well-being for 3 days now. We will be taking this up with the consultant at the hospital who are responsible for my father's Alzheimer's medication but wanted to hear if anyone else has had to deal with such an appalling state of affairs. Thanks, Susan

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I would be screeming down the phone tomorrow morning to the GP demanding that something be done.

My husband is in the late stages and still has exelon prescribed by both the consultant and the CPN.

I think this is appaling what has happened to your father. After all the drug has to be introduced gradually and should be withdrawn gradually.

A terrible thing to read and I hope that you let your feelings be known.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
Susan, I too would be horrified. I have always been led to believe that a person is weaned on and off the drug. Gosh I would be letting my feelings known.

June x

susankell

Feb 9, 2011
luton
Thanks Tina and Bucko. I will be on the phone tomorrow but just couldn't do it today because I was still so angry and worried that my emotions would get the better of me. Also, my brother (who looks after Dad at night) was going to call the Admiral Nurses today to get some advice. Haven't had a chanced to speak to him yet so will be on the warpath tomorrow!

susankell

Feb 9, 2011
luton
Withdrawal

Hi All, just wanted to update you on Dad's predicament. I did call the Consultant who was baffled as to why dad had such a reaction. He could not explain it and had never come across it in his 7 years of practice or in any research into the drug. He said he would contact the manufacturers and get back to me. He said it wasn't necessary to gradually decrease Exelon. The Admiral Nurses had also never heard of such a reaction. The consultant would not agree to putting dad back on the drug. Luckily, our GP is more sympathetic and did agree so thank God dad is back on an even keel now. I will also be speaking to the Alzheimer's Society to see if they have heard of anyone having such a reaction. It was terrible to see dad suffer like that, as if he isn't suffering enough already, so I want to make people aware of this to prevent it happening to anyone else. I was so emotionally exhausted by all this that last night I practically collapsed in a heap. Looking forward to my couple of days off from tomorrow when my sister comes to relieve me! Best to all, Susan

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm so glad your dad is back on the drug and well done you for fighting so hard for him. I would also be persuing this with the AZ Society etc., surely it is not normal to just withdraw it completely as was done.

I know exactly what you mean about emotional exhaustion. Some days have to be 'duvet days' for me when I just collapse all of a heap and feel quite ill. But I bounce back as we all do and carry on working towards comfort for my husband in particular and better care for dementia sufferers in general.

xxTinaT

susankell

Feb 9, 2011
luton
Thanks Tina. I am just going to have a "veg" day today. Sometimes that's the best thing isn't it? Hope all goes well with you and your husband. Take care, Susan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch