Wish Me Luck For Tomorrow Folks - An EXAM!!!

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
And you say to yourself: At 33, I shouldn't have to be doing these things!

Well... I have to, which is a b*gger... but there you go.

So tomorrow, I'll be doing an exam...

I've to do a 2hr written exam picking 2 out of 3 scenarios:

Psychosocial Intervention
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Dementia.

Got a rough idea of the scenarios, and have had to learn loads of quotes from books... about 29 of 'em on such as...

Dementia Drugs.
Driving And Dementia
Carers Assessments
Personhood
Daycare Provision
Malignant Social Psychology
Delusions
Alcohol misuse
Coping strategies
Distraction Techniques
Stress Vulnerability

etc. etc.

Plus I've used mnemonics/acronyms to help me remember key points/

:confused:

One quote re: dementia which is defined as a 'global deterioration of mental faculties' which are... which are...

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

Hang on... here's the trick: Monkeys Read Jokey Literature!!!

Even more confused? The first letter of that nonsense statement means something else... M.R.J.L.

Memory, Reasoning, Judgement, Language.

Might look and sound mad, but that technique works... I've used it before in exams, either to use the first letter of each word to make up a word of it's own, or to make a statement (anyone musical will probably remember that "Every Good Boy Deserves Football", being the musical scale EGBDF).

Wish me luck for tomorrow folks!

:)

N.

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
re monkeys

I love your sense of humour and wish you all the best in your exam. let us know how you get on.
Cynron x x x

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Yeah good luck tomorrow
dont think you need luck, but have some anyway, dont forget your lucky charms three packs of polos' and all the other things I seem to remember cramming into a pencil case when I last sat an exam !!

All the best
TED

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Finnian said:
Good luck ! Am I right in presuming this is an end of year exam ?

I wish! :D - I'll have another one to do before next April.

The way it works at Preston University is like this:

1st year - 'Common Foundation' - split into 3 placements/modules with exams/essays/portfolios/presentations etc.

Then 2nd Year we 'branched' - that is, the groups split to each specialty, mine being Mental Health... from then on, the course modules were for 6 months... that means 1 day at University, 1 for study, 3 days on placment for 6 months.

So this is coming to the end of my 1st module for the 3rd year (confusing isn't it)... from next Monday we'll be on our final module (that is the final 6 months prior to qualifying)... my placement will be on a ward for Older Person's Mental Health and I'm really looking forward to it...

But thanks for reminding me that I've YET to do ANOTHER exam... :eek:

Which means yet ANOTHER essay... :eek:

And... :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG who knows?

:D

Cynron - thanks for the comments... I'll let you know what happens!

Ted - NO WAY am I taking polos in... I tend to get 'a little high' when I have too much sugar, so I'm not going to be sat in an exam in a hyperactive state thanks! :D

I know they do the 'sugar free' ones... but I also know that they contain phenylalanine or similar which has a laxative effect... I don't even want to THINK of the consequences!

Anyhow - I'm going to get some more revising in later... and I'm not worried which is a good sign... but maybe tomorrow I'll worry!

:D

N.

Last edited:

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Cheers for your comments and support folks!

Done it!

Well I sat it and I reckon I've done okay...

It lasted two hours and I was still writing up until the 'put your pens down please' part right at the end.

I hope that I've done okay... I have to add that I am absolutely SHATTERED now... although not worried about the exam (because I feel I knoew my stuff) I had hardly any sleep... so it's an early night for me I reckon!

Cheers for your comments and support folks!

N.

P.S. Three questions particularly related to Dementia:

Drug... I gave Reminyl as an example, plus info on side effects/cautions/symptom relief etc. etc.

Personhood... I discussed many issues on this including maintaining independence, dignity and respect, issues surrounding driving etc.

Carers needs... mentioned stuff on "Who Cares" handbook, professional advice and support, Carers and Disabled Children's Act (2000), Day Care, Family Support etc. etc.

The other part I did was on Psychosocial Intervention... I discussed distraction techniques, coping strategies, stress vulnerability, guided learning, socratic questioning, alcohol use/misuse, antipsychotic medication etc. etc.

It certainly was very involved!

Fingers crossed I did okay folks!

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
An update.

Got me results back this morning.

Pass mark is 40%... unfortunately...

I GOT 73%!

Am chuffed to bits!

Cheers for all the good wishes folks!

N.

Finnian

Sep 26, 2005
U.K.
Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done ! Well done !

Finnian

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Lynne said:
Congratulations, you are obviously destined to go far :p (but please don't forget us here!)

Like that's going to happen! :D

You ain't going to get rid of me that easily folks, I'm here to stay lol!

Now all I have to do is find myself a job for April :( Watch this space for any developments!

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Norman said:
Dearth
how is the job situation?
Will you have to move to find work or is there a chance in you district?
Norman

A long story...

Basically, I was 'seconded' from being an N.A. on a Dementia Assessment Unit, that is, they pay my wage as I train.

I agreed to work for the trust if a job became available - no guarantees of it happening though... if not, I agreed to work elsewhere for the NHS for 2 years.

I had a chat with someone about it yesterday, and the upshot it seems is that when I've finished my training, if there is no job, I can go back to being an N.A. as a temporary measure... and therefore from that point, I would be able to apply ANYWHERE.

The good thing about that is, at least there's a 'fallback' plan... most people training will have to start from scratch, so I can't really complain.

Although I really want to work in Older Person's Care/Dementia Care I have to realise that this may not be possible, and I'll have to try to find other jobs, however, I AM pulling out all the stops in pursuing my area of interest re: a job.

At the moment Norman you now know as much as me... I'll keep you posted on this... it may seem a long time until April, but I have to get it sorted a.s.a.p.

I'll let you know what happens.

N.