Are people with dementia who have little mobility more prone to feeling colder?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I could really do with more information on this as I am in bitter combat with the OT who is insisting my wife should sleep at floor level to avoid falling out of bed. I have argued that the risk is just the same as a normal healthy person and that it is really cold at floor level. They just say that my wife does not have capacity so they have to make the decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
I could really do with more information on this as I am in bitter combat with the OT who is insisting my wife should sleep at floor level to avoid falling out of bed. I have argued that the risk is just the same as a normal healthy person and that it is really cold at floor level. They just say that my wife does not have capacity so they have to make the decision.
@Alex54 Gosh. i'd have really thought that the OT should be doing more to help your wife. They ought to be looking for solutions like a profiling bed with safety rails on each side,failng that some sort of removable barrier that could be put on and taken off as required, like the metal ones that slip under the mattress or held in place by brakes on the floor. Surely lying close to the floor at any time of the year would certainly increase the risk of hpothermia. Elderly and infirm find it harder to regulate their bodys core temperature and thats why there's a risk, even more so if the person is not able to comunicate how cold they'e feeling or worse still. not be even aware that they are TOO cold Please speak again to the OT x

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Please speak again to the OT
I am afraid we are way past that level. I attended a meeting last Tuesday, they refused to change their decision regardless of any points I put forward. They then started to read from a document of possible options they have produced, I noticed that everyone else had a copy in front of them, I said that it was highly unprofessional not to have sent a copy to me before the meeting and that I would need additional time to review it, I then walked out of the meeting. I fully expect their next move to go to the court of protection.
However you are totally correct, OT should be more supportive, but to be honest I don't think there is one bit of equipment they have supplied which don't have serious design flaws, i.e. washable slide sheets which are so small the carers use the none washable ones instead.

Last edited:

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
I am afraid we are way past that level. I attended a meeting last Tuesday, they refused to change their decision regardless of any points I put forward. They then started to read from a document of possible options they have produced, I noticed that everyone else had a copy in front of them, I said that it was highly unprofessional not to have sent a copy to me before the meeting and that I would need additional time to review it, I then walked out of the meeting. I fully expect their next move to go to the court of protection.
However you are totally correct, OT should be more supportive, but to be honest I don't think there is one bit of equipment they have supplied which don't have serious design flaws, i.e. washable slide sheets which are so small the carers use the none washable ones instead.
That's terrible! How could they treat you like that at a meeting. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm speechless.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
BTW. what is "court of protection"?

Where the parties to a decision fail to agree on what is in the best interests of an individual, ... Ultimately, if all other attempts to resolve the dispute have failed, the Court might need to decide what is in the person’s best interests. (This refers to the Court of Protection.)
Wikipedia:
The Court of Protection in English law is a superior court of record created under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. It has jurisdiction over the property, financial affairs and personal welfare of people who lack mental capacity to make decisions for themselves.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
Where the parties to a decision fail to agree on what is in the best interests of an individual, ... Ultimately, if all other attempts to resolve the dispute have failed, the Court might need to decide what is in the person’s best interests. (This refers to the Court of Protection.)
Wikipedia:
The Court of Protection in English law is a superior court of record created under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. It has jurisdiction over the property, financial affairs and personal welfare of people who lack mental capacity to make decisions for themselves.
Oh I think I understand it but does that over rule LPA ?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
That's terrible! How could they treat you like that at a meeting. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm speechless.
You will find this a lot within the NHS and social services, by not sharing information with the family until the last minute they are able to control events and get the family to agree easier. If you ever attend a meeting they normally ask for your point of view first, instead say you would prefer to let everyone speak and comment at the end.

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
I find it unbelievable that OT should even think of suggesting such a thing. When my mum kept falling out of bed, it was suggested immediately that I get a hospital bed to stop this happening. Beyond that, it is appalling that professionals should behave in such a manner. All too often they come in and take over. I felt I was becoming a bystander in my own life once they took over. There really should be some way of dealing with situations like this without involving courts. That is the last thing you need.

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
I never got the chance to apply for LPA, but often they have said if I have LPA they would not get involved. However, I have seen posts on this site where the LPA can be overruled.
OK I just pray that they'll be a satisfactory outcome regarding your wife, whatever happens. x

WeeDido

Feb 24, 2020
west of scotland
You will find this a lot within the NHS and social services, by not sharing information with the family until the last minute they are able to control events and get the family to agree easier. If you ever attend a meeting they normally ask for your point of view first, instead say you would prefer to let everyone speak and comment at the end.
I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks x

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
There really should be some way of dealing with situations like this
Sadly like most health care professionals, they are understaffed and overworked. I don't think they are doing it out of prejudice or anything like that. Basically they are cutting corners and not working through the issues correctly.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
OK I just pray that they'll be a satisfactory outcome regarding your wife, whatever happens. x
Just to say that they can provide a profiling bed which lowers to ground level to stop her falling out of needed.But it doesn't have to go to floor level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968