Winter Rebates from British Gas

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
I hope it's Ok, putting this on here, and not breaking any rules or anything!

I have just found out (on another forum) that British Gas are offering winter rebates of between £20 and £60, depending on what fuel you have from them. However, you have to register by 31st December!

Details as follows................

'URGENT! If you receive means-tested benefits you can claim a 60 quid rebate from British (or Scottish) Gas, though you must claim before 31 DEC 2005.

They are giving out rebates of £60 on winter bills - it is paid in two installments in November and February. The rebate is worth £40 for gas customers, £20 for electricity, i.e. £60 for customers getting both.

Check to see if you’ve received a form with your gas bill or call 0845 602 2008 and press 1 for Winter Fuel Rebate. All you need is your account details and they’ll arrange it for you.

It's for British (or Scottish) Gas customers only and you have to be on one of the following benefits:

Vulnerable Customer - Eligible Benefits
• Disability living allowance
• Pension Credit
• Attendance allowance
• War disablement pension which includes either a mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance
• Disablement pension which includes constant attendance allowance
• Child tax credit where the relevant income is £14,600 or less
• Working tax credit where the relevant income is £14,600 or less
• Council tax benefit
• Housing benefit
• Income-based job seekers allowance
• Income support
• Carers Allowance
• Severe Disability allowance'

........it's taken from the Moneysavingexpert.com website....not sure how to do a link.

Anyway, I've rang the number, registered Dad, who is in receipt of attendance allowance due to AD, and he will be getting his rebate!!

Hope this may be of use to some of you out there,

Best Regards
jks

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Thanks for this jks. I hadn't heard about this and I find it amazing that British Gas could not have printed a couple of lines about it on our last quarter's bill! You don't think they are hoping that not many people apply do you?! :p I managed to register on a different telephone number (the one you gave was busy): 0845 603 2430

I'm not sure if this is where you saw the post:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=124629&highlight=rebate

Hurry up and register by tomorrow everyone and Happy New Year!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
I've just been trying to register my Mum, but as I'm not at home at the mo' I didn't have her British Gas Ref. No. to hand when I finally got through after about 20 attempts. DOH!!!

SO, make sure you have all the relevant info to hand, cos it'll take ages to get thru to a human been instead of a bl**** machine.

Right, clearing the phone line now to try again, now I've got the damn reference.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Took Ages but thank you!

Thank you so much jks for that I finally got through on the phone on the 0845 603 2430 number and am being awarded a £60 rebate.

Lets hope many more apply tomorrow! :)

Linda x

Last edited:

janew

Mar 28, 2005
jks

Just wanted to thank you for the information. I rang and got the rebate £40.00 it took a while to get through but got it sorted.

I had not seen an advert for this and was really pleased you brought it to everyones attention.

With Thanks

Jane

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
3 cheers for JKS!

Finally got through at 1 pm today, and got it sorted. Mum will get a £40 rebate (I suppose the amount depends on what sort of benefit payment the consumer receives?) although hanging on the phone probably cost me about a fiver.

Was this advertised anywhere?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear jks, thanks for the info on British Gas. Whilst not able to claim ourselves, I was able to ring around some AS members locally, and have already heard from 3 people who have been awarded rebates.

Once again, thanks. Connie.

Lynne, think the amount went up to £60 if you had both gas & electricity through BG.

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hello Again

I'm so pleased that this has been useful to some of you.....hated to think of a good rebate going to waste!

Best Wishes,
Joanne

crums

May 22, 2004
shipley
thanks for info on british gas rebates after many attemps on sat managed to get through at 4pm. thank you again

jks

Jul 2, 2005
West Yorkshire
New Deadline !

I've been reliably informed that British Gas have moved the deadline to the end of January, as they are inundated with calls! So it may still worth trying if you were unable to get through before. :)

katieberesford

May 5, 2005
south wales
Hi

Just to say I have managed to register for the winter rebate this morning. Phone answered promptly, so they are obviously expecting numerous calls!!

Thanks to everyone for this information.

Katie