Winter Fuel Payment Arrears?

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
In earlier years my Dad had been getting WFP in November having met the qualifying conditions in the previous September. As he died last October, I wondered whether any arrears were payable (which used to happen a few years according to some old news reports - see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8090105/Up-to-25m-in-Winter-Fuel-Payments-given-to-dead-pensioners-families.html).

I am sure Dad would have not thought making a claim would be justified, but as his executor perhaps I am obliged to collect all monies due to the estate? :confused:

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Why don't you give the DWP a quick call? They should be able to tell you whether it's still payable. If it's quick and easy, go for it, if it's a major claim headache, I wouldn't bother for a few hundred pounds to be honest.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My mum died in November. When I called the DWP to inform them of her death I was told Winter Fuel Allowance would still be paid to her estate as the 'qualifying week' was in September. However in her case the amount was incorrect and we are expecting the arrears to be paid sometime before the end of March.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
Well - problem resolved I guess. I've just spoken to the DWP, and apparently the payment is automatic and they have all the information they need from the form I filled in for the state pension.

I thought it might be like attendance allowance where they do want another form done, but no, they just have a bit of a "backlog" with these payments and they've flagged it up for "urgent payment" for me now.

Just as well I checked, as I need to declare it on the inheritance tax forms I have to do next.

Their procedures can seem rather mysterious when they give you a claim form for the state pension and other benefits but not including AA, and then pay out in dribs and drabs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968