1. Coulddobetter

Coulddobetter Registered User

Oct 19, 2016
    Just received a letter from DWP as Mum's attorney informing that mum will get the shared rate of the winter fuel allowance of £150, instead of the usual £200 - I expect this is because she now resides in a nursing home!! So, as a self funder, she already contributes more than her fair share to the home's fuel bills, and now she has £50 less to do so!!. Unbelievable.

2. Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
    Just checked online, and it turns out that Mum would have been entitled to £300 this year as she was 80 in September - had she not been unfortunate enough to need nursing care.

3. Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
    Meant to post this thread in a different forum, as you might have gathered ! Intended it to go into the forum Middle to Later Stages. Can someone assist?

4. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Yes I felt that too for dad ... a resident is still through fees having to pay for fuel as an elderly person but there it is.

5. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    I always felt it strange that Mom still got the allowance even when she moved into a NH.o_O

6. Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
    Pete, it's a universal benefit for pensioners of a certain age - had no idea until today that it was reduced for those in care settings.

7. ITBookworm

ITBookworm Registered User

Oct 26, 2011
    Glasgow
    I'm not 100% sure it is entirely the move into care that has caused the reduction. I saw my Dad's letter earlier (living at home with Mum, no dementia involved) and his was at the lower £150 rate. I think there must be some change if there is more than one person living in the house due the fuel allowance.

8. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Yes,
    one person aged 80 in house £300 - got letter today for my £300
    two people aged 80 in house, £150 each
    logic says 20 residents all aged 80 in care home, £15 each!!!!!

Adjust amounts for people aged 65 to 79.

2017-11-21_154611.png

9. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    I do realise what the benefit is for and that it is reduced when entering a CH.

I still find it strange that it continues to be paid to those that enter care as it is paid to the individual and does not have to go to the CH.

10. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    My mum is in an assisted living/sheltered extra care flat, so gets the full £300, however her annual utility bills for water, electricity and gas are less than this.

11. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    I also find it strange however on thinking about it I'm not too sure.
    On first thoughts they could filter out people who they knew had a permanent address as a care home in September for the next years non-eligibility.
    How do they know that 'Valley Grange' is a care home?
    In my experience the various DWP departments don't always share info - confidentiality?
    Maybe a decision was made that it was not worth the hassle.

Digressing a bit, up to 2015 all European expats received the WFP.
    It was decided to compare the winter temperatures in various countries with that of SW England.
    Expats in several countries lost the payment, for all except France the decision was clear cut.
    France however included Mayotte (Comoros), Guadeloupe, Réunion, French Guyana and Martinique and WFP was withdrawn even though mainland France has a lower winter temperature than SW England.

If withdrawal of payment of WFP to residents in care homes was easy I feel it might have happened in 2015.

More digression
    People receiving certain benefits including AA and CA should get a Christmas Bonus, I also get one because I receive a State Pension
    https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility

12. Coulddobetter

Oct 19, 2016
    #12 Coulddobetter, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017