Winter break

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
We have been coming for our winter break for the last 17 years this year hubby has gone down hill,when I mention were we are going he seems happy but a 8 hours flight
A bit nervous! Have told the airline,should I give him a sleeping tablet.
.Son says no .any views?

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
We have been coming for our winter break for the last 17 years this year hubby has gone down hill,when I mention were we are going he seems happy but a 8 hours flight
A bit nervous! Have told the airline,should I give him a sleeping tablet.
.Son says no .any views?
Not something I could contemplate with my OH. If you are so concerned why not do a different break with a much shorter flying time. You can get to the sun in half that time can't you.8 hrs flying is too much for a lot of people.
The only thing I know about sleeping pills and plane journeys is a Dr friend of mine who was a frequent flyer to Australia always took them.
I suggest you speak to your Dr.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello sunlover, we went to Tenerife and madeira for 35yrs to find the sun, to escape the cold weather, 2yrs ago my hubby deteriorated so much, when we got to boarding the plane at Gatwick, he thought we had just landed in Madeira, that was the last time l took him, the whole month was a nightmare!!! I wish you lots of luck, l would advice you not to do an 8hr flight, 4hrs is too long, but manageable, l didn't give my hubby sleeping pills, but probably would for a long flight.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
have a word with your GP = he may be able to suggest something mid way between a sleeping pill and a calming pill

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Hi Sunlover

I think if you can stop them from being over tired its half the battle.

Luckily we are still going on long flights but Diazepam is the answer for us.It relaxes him and helps him to nod off .Not sure how much longer we can do this but it has worked although he takes a few days to get over it once we are there.You can always test it out before you go ,.Hope this helps you .xx

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
Sunlover, I wonder where you live to contemplate an 8 hour flight to the warmer weather? For those of us living in the UK the Canary Islands are 4 hours max flying time which my husband copes with. Hotel all inclusive means there are no great decisions to contend with, no money to worry about on a daily basis and we tend to remain in situ with perhaps a walk off campus to break things up. The long haul we did last October to Australia via Singapore was difficult and disorientating for him even though we have been intrepid and resourceful travellers in the past. A month of changing itineraries was no rest for me so I am resigned to what is best for BOTH of us, because I need to feel it is a worthwhile break for me as well, if I am to recharge my energies. A package trip with airport pick up etc makes it even easier. Fortunately flights are not an issue for him but the in flight entertainment control flawed him so he constantly bothered me to get it to work which was frustrating for both of us. I feel sad about the fact that there are places we can no longer look forward to visiting but that is the reality. We still consider short cruises though with just one unpacking of suitcases. But good luck. Gwyneth

Last edited:

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
Sunlover, I wonder where you live to contemplate an 8 hour flight to the warmer weather? For those of us living in the UK the Canary Islands are 4 hours max flying time which my husband copes with. Hotel all inclusive means there are no great decisions to contend with, no money to worry about on a daily basis and we tend to remain in situ with perhaps a walk off campus to break things up. The long haul we did last October to Australia via Singapore was difficult and disorientating for him even though we have been intrepid and resourceful travellers in the past. A month of changing itineraries was no rest for me so I am resigned to what is best for BOTH of us, because I need to feel it is a worthwhile break for me as well, if I am to recharge my energies. A package trip with airport pick up etc makes it even easier. Fortunately flights are not an issue for him but the in flight entertainment control flawed him so he constantly bothered me to get it to work which was frustrating for both of us. I feel sad about the fact that there are places we can no longer look forward to visiting but that is the reality. We still consider short cruises though with just one unpacking of suitcases. But good luck. Gwyneth
Everything is booked and paid for! Just think of us on Thursday.Will let you know how the flight goes!He knows the villa and the area and have lots of friends there!Thank you for your support.

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
Sunshine

After reading the comments I was getting scared as hubby seemed to have gone down hill and not hearing ,when I looked in his ears they were full of wax and as the Nurse said he probably could not hear anything!after cleaning out his ears he was a changed man!!
Checked in for or BA flight World Traveller plus and we were not seated together!phoned BA and explained but the flight was full and they would put a note on!! If we were no together then would cancel.Luckily sons friend is a pilot and phoned duty officer who sorted it and was nervous till we had the tickets! Lesson pay the extra and book seats!
He enjoyed the flight the last hour could tell land please! But was pleaseed to see our driver and reconize places and routine. And see villa
I know will have to take each day as it comes but so happy that we are here and to meet up old friends!
Now got to relax! ,!!

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
Only been here for two days and he is a changed man,wonder how long his ears have been building up?yes I know he has Alzheimer's but his humour has come back and he is so pleased to be welcomed back, been coming to this area for 14 years,it gives me a lift that made the right choice..
First day lots of liquid sunshine! But lots of laughter and jokes.We will stay for 11 weeks,very good deal in a villa.Hubby wanted to go and visit friends this pm and understood when I said they don't arrive for a while.
So glad we returned next year?