Windows 7

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
This is some way in advance of the release of the next generation of Windows software, but some preparation as to whether to move to it, or not, may be useful.

I never moved from Windows XP Home to Vista on my desktop PC because I've never liked Vista. I do run Vista on my laptop, and it is usable - the laptop was delivered with Vista on it, so no upgrade was needed.

You can find details of the Windows 7 software on http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/windows-7/

Whether or not you can actually run it depends on your PC. There's an Upgrade Advisor you can download that will tell you www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/windows-vista/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

It told me for instance, that, while my desktop PC can easily run Windows 7, I can't upgrade to it - I need to install it from scratch as a custom install - then install all my software, from scratch!

For me, it probably means I'll stick to Windows XP Home until I buy a new PC some time in the future.

Generally, it is good advice to wait until a few months after any new software has been released, to give time for all the initial problems to come to light.

The main things to realise is that if your PC ain't broke - then there is little need to fix it by getting a new operating system!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Bruce.

I`m the same as you. Windows XP on the Desk Top, Vista , ready installed , on the Lap Top.
I wish I could install XP on the Lap Top. :(

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Oh gosh, even after all this time I have got used to my Windows XP.

Did not think I could cope with Vista.

Will be waiting a long time before I will change, unless I am forced to.:eek:

Thanks for the info Bruce. (Hope you are feeling better these days):)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I've just installed Windows 7 on my laptop - there are no critical programs or files there, it is mostly just for Internet access in the kitchen.

The install went smoothly, as a simple update to Vista Basic.

The laptop has a new lease of life now - noticeably faster, and a nicer feel - though not THAT different from Vista, something I can't work out. Maybe the aero version of the interface.

For my XP desktop PC, well, as there is no Windows 7 upgrade from XP - you have to do a clean install of everything - I will wait for my next PC sometime in 2010 which will come with Windows 7 Professional. This version has an emulator that allegedly will run XP programs with no problems, something that is very important to me as I have many critical programs that must work for me..

Bye bye Vista.....:D

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
I wish I could say the same.

Me too. My laptop runs like a dog and I'm convinced it's Vista. Someone at work has just installed Windows 7 and was extolling its virtues. I may have to consider taking laptop in for an upgrade.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
what is it exactly that you dislike about Vista?

I had two main problems

1. the laptop is not well-endowed with memory and hard disk space, so gets crippled by the slow operating system
  2. one critical piece of software won't run on Vista

the first item seems to have been addressed, but I won't know about the second until I get Windows 7 Professional.

there were other issues with Vista, including

• the way file lists are displayed [I often revert to using the old MS-DOS Command prompt and the "Dir" command, but that is all pre-Windows]. The XP Explorer interface was nicer to use

There is not going to be a path back to XP, easily. I'll let you know how I get on with Windows 7.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
vonny said:
I may have to consider taking laptop in for an upgrade.

The upgrade of Vista to Windows 7 is a doddle - put the DVD in and it just takes an hour or so, but basically does it all, itself. Not rocket science.

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
My main issue is slow running. I've had the RAM (I think!) increased but if I try to install any games they won't work properly and the colours go all peculiar. It could just be that my laptop is too small and besides I don't have time for games but it would be interesting to see if an upgrade to Windows 7 did actually mae a difference.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It might sound trivial but I hate the Calendar on Vista. It is so clumsy to use.
I keep so many records of Dhiren`s condition, the Calendar and Words on XP are almost an integral part of my life.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Vonny

The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor will tell you if your hardware can support the system

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Problems running games will be due to:

• games not being certified for the operating system used, and not working properly
  • the amount of RAM - 2 Gb recommended even for Word, in my view
  • amount of memory on the graphics chip itself
  • amount of spare disk space [don't forget that considerable amounts are used as scratch space in hierarchical storage systems - i.e. if physical memory is insufficient, the computer simulates it on rotating memory [disk]]
  • perhaps the cpu chip though this should not be a problem unless the laptop is very old

Try the upgrade advisor.

Sylvia

I use the Google calendar and that is operating system independent. It works well for me though it may not be good for you.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...ollowup=http://www.google.com/calendar/render

I also much prefer Google Chrome as a browser, to Internet Explorer, or Safari. I use Google features [toolbar etc] in Internet Explorer now because for some things I need that particular browser, even though it hangs my PC regularly.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve registered with the Google calendar Bruce but it will take me an age to work it out. When I`ve more time I`ll have a proper look. But thanks.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Don't think I can stand the hassle of wiping everything in order to installWindows 7.

Will look to buying complete new system sometime in 2010.......hard to believe that I have had this one since Jan 2004.....so is considered 'old'.

Bruce, shall be looking to you for help and advice at that time.
Thanks for the info so far.

(Our local community magazine arrived this morning - very useful article on Windows 7 and the do's and dont's)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Don't think I can stand the hassle of wiping everything in order to install Windows 7.

I think the official advice is, if you are not upgrading from Vista, then wait until you buy a new system because that will have Windows 7 pre-installed.

If you need to backup your XP system to do a clean install of Windows 7 then you need an external backup drive of some sort.

Not worth the hassle, IMHO

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I've never found a calendar on XP actually - so you are one up on me! Do you use Outlook rather than Outlook Express or something?
I haven`t a clue what I use Bruce. It was just there. :eek: Surely if you look at All Programmes, you`ll find Calendar. It`s such a good one and really easy to use.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream