Will she, wont she

Twoode

Jan 29, 2014
:)Well, the time has come (dramatic pause). Today is Mums first day at the Age UK day centre. I woke her this morning with her usual tea, toast and tablets and a cheery smile. I reminded her that its was today and she replied ' Oh no, not that old peoples thing' :mad: (She is 80 this week). I had to smile and explain that it wasnt an 'old peoples thing'. It was part of her care package that the area we live in get and its been arranged on the request of the doctors. She will go today but it could be the only day. Watch this space.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Another one with fingers crossed that she goes, and enjoys it :)

Mil has been going to a day care centre, 3 days (well, 4 hours!) a week for a few months now. As soon as she walks through the door, she is beaming, she is greeted warmly, and when she comes home, she is full of tales of what she has had for lunch (by the time she gets home she has forgotten what it actually was, but always insists it was 'sausages', and usually that she has enjoyed them :D ) and is often delighted at having won some small prize at the bingo.

However, like your Mum, before she actually goes, each and every day, she complains that she doesn't like it, its full of 'old people'. She uses every excuse in the book to try and persuade us not to take her - this morning its because its raining, and she swears she has no coat, despite me showing her the THREE hung up. She will insist she is ill, has no clothes, that she has told them she won't be in today, she hasn't any lippy, that this 'isn't her usual day for going' - we just stand firm, and if we have to, we tell her that 'the doctor' has said she must go, and if she is refusing, then she HAS to phone the doctor herself, and explain why. Not wanting any dealings with 'authority', that is the one thing that always (so far) convinces her. And we get her there, and as I said, once she walks through the doors - one very happy Mil :)

It really is good for her, and its also very good for us, so even if Mum says 'never again' (which Mil did, the second time she was due to go) I really hope that you can find a way to keep her attending.

Good luck x

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Sending you all good wishes that today goes well & becomes a regular event both of you can enjoy. Some great tips form other posts I will perhaps draw upon when my own Mum's first day at 'school' comes later in the month! :)

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
hope your mum enjoys the day centre. My mum was the same, she never wanted to go at first said it was full of old people and they just sat around all day doing nothing, she came home one day saying she wasn't going again cos some lady was shouting at her, when I phoned the centre up I was told she loved it and played bingo and had a sing and loved dancing. At one point she used to get up at 3 in the morning and wait for the minibus to take her to what she called "going to work"