Will Mum be turned away from cafes etc

Purple heart ?

May 25, 2021
My mum is able to cafes on her own still, but won't remember her phone number for Track & Trace. I'm.worried places will turn her away, causing her to be confused as to why. Has anyone else come accross this, or similar. I'd hate to think of anyone with Dementia being discriminated against (again), but I fear that have been forgotten in all of this. Thank you for reading ?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Purple heart ? It’s good to hear that your mum can still go to cafes by herself. I wondered if she would be able to show a card or piece of paper with her contact details on it. Of course she may not remember that she has it with her - just a thought!

These are not quite what would be required but maybe something along these lines could be made up with her details?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband still goes out on his own on the bus but has cards in his wallet with his name and my contact number and something a long the lines of i might need help etc. helping hands cards.

Purple heart ?

May 25, 2021
Thank you Jennifer. Yes my mum has a similar card on a lanyard but its often in her pocket instead of round her neck on view. I dont think she would think of showing it but I will certainly mention it to her. That way they can take my number down. Thanks again

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you Jennifer. Yes my mum has a similar card on a lanyard but its often in her pocket instead of round her neck on view. I dont think she would think of showing it but I will certainly mention it to her. That way they can take my number down. Thanks again
because he cant wear a mask, medically exempt, i out it round his neck as he goes out the door. i call it his necklace

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I went to the cafe at the local garden centre on Saturday and all I did was write my name and phone number on a pre printed form and popped it in the box supplied. I suspect they have realised that a lot of their clientele don’t have smart phones.

Purple heart ?

May 25, 2021
Cafes barely bothered with it in the thick of the pandemic, I doubt they will be super-militant now.

They were very much on it when I was in a cafe with my mum yesterday, so much so that they said they find it hard to belive she doesn't have a phone number. This really upset me. The waitress then got a male member of staff to come out and basically I think they thought we were being awkward. They then asked for her address, which I gave.

Purple heart ?

May 25, 2021
I went to the cafe at the local garden centre on Saturday and all I did was write my name and phone number on a pre printed form and popped it in the box supplied. I suspect they have realised that a lot of their clientele don’t have smart phones.
She doesn't know/remember her phone number. Thsts the issue. Its not a case of not having the App.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I think if your mum is already a known customer at a particular cafe she probably won't be pressed to provide the information. I say this purely on the basis that I was in one of the larger coffee shop chains yesterday. One person, a frequent customer who has dementia, was not asked to provide their details, nor was another known customer with a learning disability. The staff obviously knew what the situation was with those particular customers as they'd known them and their particular situation down the years. Whether these two customers would have received the same leniency in another cafe, where they were not already known to staff, is hard to say.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does she go to the same cafe each time? If so, perhaps you could explain the problem to the manager and give her address and maybe your phone number to them in advance, so that they do not have to ask her.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This is a training need in cafes. I use my iPhone in M&S cafe to give details but there is one brash male assistant who would not be sensitive to customers needs. I have not reported him but perhaps we should let management or owners know so that they can make other arrangements.