Will it ever end?

Teal212

Mar 4, 2020
Scotland
I haven't posted in a while but I know a lot of you will be feeling the exact same way.
I'm finding it really hard not being able to see my Gran as i'm sure a majority of you feel the same way about your loved ones. My Gran had to be detained during lockdown, in May. She's been in hospital since and only my brother has been able to see her from a distance twice at the hospital, she was upset and didn't know what was going on, she seems so much worse since being in hospital, which i expected. I do miss her but i dread phoning her because it really upsets her and then has me feeling down for the rest of the day, i just want to physically see her.
Anyway she got moved to a care home yesterday and we still are not allowed see her, even through a window, they said because "according to guidelines'. Here is Scotland rules changed that from yesterday 3 people could visit from 2 households outside. Since this is not allowed where my Gran is, does this mean there's a Covid outbreak there? Forgive me for being vague its so hard to know what going on sometimes because doing all communicating by phone, things get lost in translation and i'm already an anxious person on the phone.
The way things are going I feel will I ever be able to see her again, just give her a hug, everytime we move forwards Covid just brings it all backwards. As i've been shielding as well I need to wait until everything is safe too. I just feel will this really ever end?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Don't know details of guidance in Scotland, however I think a good start could be to ask the local public health if they have put extra restriction on the care home for any reason.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Teal212 I know how you feel, it does seem never ending! On the plus side, care home visiting guidance seems much clearer in Scotland than England and the fact that they are allowing 3 people to visit is better than in England too.

Anyone leaving hospital and going into a care home has to be quarantined for 14 days on entering the home so that's most likely to be the reason that you can't visit your Gran or see her through a window at the moment. I wouldn't necessary assume it's because the home has a current outbreak of covid but if you can, try to speak to the care home manager who will be able to explain the visiting policy for your Gran's care home (which can vary from home to home).

Here's a link to the latest care home visiting guidance for Scotland which you may find helpful:

Teal212

Mar 4, 2020
Scotland
@Teal212 I know how you feel, it does seem never ending! On the plus side, care home visiting guidance seems much clearer in Scotland than England and the fact that they are allowing 3 people to visit is better than in England too.

Anyone leaving hospital and going into a care home has to be quarantined for 14 days on entering the home so that's most likely to be the reason that you can't visit your Gran or see her through a window at the moment. I wouldn't necessary assume it's because the home has a current outbreak of covid but if you can, try to speak to the care home manager who will be able to explain the visiting policy for your Gran's care home (which can vary from home to home).

Here's a link to the latest care home visiting guidance for Scotland which you may find helpful:

OMG thank you so much, I totally forgot that she would be quarantined , my brain is so scrambled at the moment. I wish the person I spoke to on the phone would've just said this when I asked about visiting rather than "because of guidelines blah blah" and had me panicking. I'll need to try and get more info.
Thanks so much for the link, i'll check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson