1. doobedoo

doobedoo Registered User

Dec 4, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Hi

Thank you for the information. Husband doesn't have a social worker and no ones even mentioned that to us. Age UK have been pretty good, hubby is 62, started with pension credit and I earn £8 a month too much!! But will try with pip see if we can get anything, and you're so right, this illness does mess every thing up. Anyway I appreciate the reply, just feel like I'm struggling against the tide all the time.

2. doobedoo

doobedoo Registered User

Dec 4, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    People can be very hurtful even when they've been through a similar situation. We only moved here in August and the neighbours seem very nice but I can't expect them to cope with him. I've decided to put a note through the neighbours doors to give them my mobile number so if I'm at work they can ring me if he's becoming a nuisance. It's difficult at work as I only started in December, they know the situation but not sure when it comes down to it how flexible they'd be. Anyway thank you for the reply, without this forum I think I would feel so alone some days.

3. NanLorac

NanLorac Registered User

May 14, 2012
    Female
    Scotland
    My hubby had to give up work at 61 and has had ESA and DLA (now PIP) payments for the past 3yrs.

Because he gets DLA I could claim for carer Allowance and still work so long as my wages were less than £100 a week. I had to give up work last year 3mths before I turned 60. Its not an easy decision but I am still in touch with a few friends from work and I have found new friends at the carer groups I attend.

https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview, this will tell you more and any forms you have to fill in, please get help from CAB, AgeUK or Alzheimer Society.

4. kathleenr

kathleenr Registered User

Aug 19, 2013
    Im continuing to work although its not easy, we both need a break and the cash. It took a while but ive some good day care, and some good friends. Hope it works for you.

5. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    I gave up work , I am 52 hubs is 65 , as john started to wander out of house, so I had no choice really. I do miss my work but with having been a store manager the hours were just too long and unpredictable ( 60 plus hours) for me to continue. I miss my salary and the financial freedom :( my husband got dismissed as soon as the med police found out he had mixed dementia and declared him unfit for work .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

6. cobden28

cobden28 Registered User

Jan 31, 2012
    The local Age Concern here in Portsmouth say they deal with anyone aged 50 or over, because so many folk take early retirement these days; I'm 59.