• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Will I cope....


New member
Sep 10, 2019
My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and vascular dementia in 2017 .She has just spent the last 2 weeks in hospital due to dehydration,this is the 2nd time this year.I have now been able to get carers in and she is currently being assessed.mom needs constant promting to do most thinks including eating and drinking.I have not spoke to her about power of attorney and now I think it's too late as she is not always here with me.Is there any other legal procedure I can use for future .?


Registered User
Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Icandothis you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there



You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

As to your specific question, you will see from the relevant factsheet that it is also possible to go through the Court of Protection(much more expensive) if capacity has been lost.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.


Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
hello @Icandothis
a warm welcome to DTP
sorry to hear of your mum's hospital admissions ... it's good that she'll now be having carer visits ... I hope that will help with prompting her to drink and keep hydrated

if you believe your mum still has some capacity, as long as your mum can grasp what the LPAs are for ie so you can help her manage her affairs, and agrees to give her permission at the time of signing, you'll be wise to try to arrange these ... if possible urge her to have 2 Attorneys to act jointly and severally

if, however, you think your mum no longer has capacity at all, you will need to apply to be her Deputy to have the legal authority to manage her financial affairs, and this does come with costs to be paid from her funds ... if she has property which may need to be sold at some point, make sure asking permission for this is included in the application, or another specific application will have to be made later