Wife of 58 years sleeping all the time

wimbledon7

May 27, 2007
england
Hi,
My wife has early onset Lewy body Alzheimer's since Feb. 2007. She has gradually got worse but is now sleeping a lot and not swallowing properly. Is this the Parkinsonian side at play or a bit of both. She can no longer walk and she does not move her hands arms or legs. Has the brain forgotton? She takes Exlon tablets but now I have to powder these in jam as I canypt even open her mouth when she is in a deep sleep for hours on end. Any ideas folks? My wife is 59 in October. :(

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
hi wimbledon7 my dad has lewy body dementia and sleeps a lot just like your wife. Its deep catatonic sleep like I've never seen before. I try to get him to have a fortishake on the days he sleeps through. It takes time and patience but I can normally get a full shake down over the course of the day. Slowly slowly or he chokes. Its easier now we have a profile bed I can just raise his head when I need him to swallow.

wimbledon7

May 27, 2007
england
hi wimbledon7 my dad has lewy body dementia and sleeps a lot just like your wife. Its deep catatonic sleep like I've never seen before. I try to get him to have a fortishake on the days he sleeps through. It takes time and patience but I can normally get a full shake down over the course of the day. Slowly slowly or he chokes. Its easier now we have a profile bed I can just raise his head when I need him to swallow.

Yes. I give my wife Complan shakes. She does seem to be deteriorating quickly after 7 and half years with Lewy Body dementia.

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Nothing helpful to add for either of you, I am sorry. But wanted you to have my admiration and some loving thoughts in your battles against the horrors of this dreadful disease. Many blessings. X:)

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
hi wimbledon7

I don't know much about your wife's condition but I do sympathise.
It is worrying. My wife and myself are older than your wife.
It was worrying when we visited the care home my step mother was in to find we were both older than some of the residents.
We are early retired but we are both working age.

William