Wife keep saying she is on a roller coster p

Agog

Aug 17, 2016
Since I last posted a thread, my wife has got worse By the way she keeps saying that she is on a roller coaster and keeps going up and down and her body is braking down. I try to tell her that she is not braking down andbit only in her mind, she dose agree with me but still feel she is falling apart. Her concentration is very bad as she try to do some colouring and dod to dot but gives up after about five minutes. Recently she get up and say she is going to bed as she is tired but then come back to the front room saying she cannot sleep but cannot remember going to bed. When we are out she is OK with family and friends but moment we get indoor she is back to the mood she was in before. I would like to know if this is part of the progression of her Dementia. Thanks you, Adrian

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Agog you are having a tough time- both of you.

My OH used to spend hours a day completing sudku puzzles but these last few weeks he can't face them- it is now too difficult for him. I could never get him to do colouring in. He too will take himself off to bed saying there is 'nothing on TV' but half an hour later is back in the lounge and then later would refuse to go to bed and want to sit up all night on the sofa.

It is quite common for the person with dementia to put on an act in front of friends or relatives- but they can only keep up appearances for so long and the effort is exhausting so they end up tired and grumpy. If you put 'host mode' in the search box above you will be able to read more about it.

Yes this is all part of the progress of dementia and it is very wearing and upsetting.

Do you get any help from carers coming in to help you to cope?

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Agog

This must be very distressing for your wife and for you. Is your wife on any medication for anxiety? A low dose anti-depressant like Mirtazapine can often be very beneficial both for anxiety and sleep, as well, as depression.

Regular reviews of medication can be very useful along the way. If the change in behaviour has been sudden, it is always wise to check for urine infections too.

Agog

Aug 17, 2016
Hi, yes she is and has a regular appointment with our GP, but she keep telling the GP that she is OK. When we are at home she goes back to being the same as she was.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It is very common for people with dementia to be unaware of their own difficulties, but your GP needs to know what she is actually like @Agog
Can you send a letter to her GP outlining all her problems and your concerns - maybe bullet-pointing them to make them easy to read? That way, when the GP next contacts her they will know what she is really like.