WIFE has become a widow

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
How bizarre I have never heard of a widow or widower removing their rings, why on earth would anyone think it was the thing to do? Like the idea of resizing other OH to wear or putting on necklace.

Thoughts with you WIFE at such a difficult time

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Shall we start a little contest - no prizes - for the most insensitive comment regarding our bereaved status?
So far the "ring" one tops the list but how about the lady I have just met at our Post Office who suggested I might be looking for another man - I just retorted with "let me get the current one cremated first!"

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
I`ve no intention of taking mine off either .

I recently had to fill in a form which asked if I was single or married. There was no way I could put single, either.

Etiquette decrees that you still address an envelope with Mrs - the husband's initial - and then the surname even when the husband is deceased so why would you dream of putting "single" on a form or removing your precious wedding band?

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
What a bizarre idea, to take your wedding ring off! Does bereavement suddenly make you unmarried, not in my book.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

Not only will I keep my wedding ring on, I now wear my husbands on my right hand, I had it resized.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
In truth, I'm not sure if I am wearing my wedding ring.
It may be my great-grandmother's.
I took mine off to compare it and they were both identical so I wasn't sure which was which so haven't know which one I've been wearing for over 10 years!

I wish I could think up retorts like your's Wife!
I do - but an hour too late!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The only widow I know who removed her wedding ring was widowed very young - in her 30s - and she removed her original wedding ring when she got engaged to someone else about 15 years later.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Mind you - I'm not even widowed yet but have heard some very insensitive remarks already! The very week William went into the nursing home, I happened to run into a man I went out with over 30 years ago. I had finished with him because he was playing mind games - I never tolerated game players! Anyway, after hearing William was just gone to a nursing home, the guy had the nerve to ask me out! :-o cheeky b***er!!

DIANE69

Jan 7, 2014
wirral
Oh WIFE the 22nd my Tony s is the 21st so I will be thinking of you.It was cream cakes in the supermarket that set me off.I hope all the new arrivals up there have got together and that someone is throwing them a welcome party.Tony always had a fondness for a large single malt at the moment I am making a determined effort to finish off the left over Christmas drinks.Like you a good nights sleep seems to be a thing of the past.I have taken to cuddling his pillow at night but it does not really help.Going to pour myself a large wine and look at old photos.Hope you enjoy your gin and tonic

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Dad lost Mum 4 years ago & wears his wedding ring plus hers on the little finger of his right hand. He also talks to her in the present tense. He will often say when I am visiting him "I said to your Mum before" or "I was telling your Mum this morning" BTW no dementia, as sane as I am (if I am!!!) just the way he deals with things. He has been talking to her for 52+ years so why would he stop now? I find it quite sweet.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Can't believe how insensitive people can be! Wife, Lyn and Scarlett you have all had far more than your fair share of having your emotions trampled by 'well meaning' people. It beggars belief that some people think in that 'out with the old in with the new' way, as if years of marriage and devotion count for nothing. Big hugs to you all

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Wife, I can't understand some people. If they have nothing good to say then they should just shut up.

My mum removed my Dad's ring and I asked if I could have it. I gave it to my son along with a ring of mine and one of OHs. My son had a wedding ring made with the gold. I turned and smiled at Mum when my DIL put it on my sons finger we both had a tear in our eyes.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Mind you - I'm not even widowed yet but have heard some very insensitive remarks already! The very week William went into the nursing home, I happened to run into a man I went out with over 30 years ago. I had finished with him because he was playing mind games - I never tolerated game players! Anyway, after hearing William was just gone to a nursing home, the guy had the nerve to ask me out! :-o cheeky b***er!!

My next-door-neighbour - his wife has been in a dementia home for over ten years - he does not visit her anymore saying his love for her has died - has just phoned and asked me out to dinner TONIGHT. For heavens sake. I have to say with all truth he would be the last man on earth I would ever fancy even if I was looking! However can't be too rude - he runs a deluxe taxi service and is lending me two black Mercedes and drivers for the Funeral cavalcade!

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Oh WIFE the 22nd my Tony s is the 21st so I will be thinking of you.It was cream cakes in the supermarket that set me off.I hope all the new arrivals up there have got together and that someone is throwing them a welcome party.Tony always had a fondness for a large single malt at the moment I am making a determined effort to finish off the left over Christmas drinks.Like you a good nights sleep seems to be a thing of the past.I have taken to cuddling his pillow at night but it does not really help.Going to pour myself a large wine and look at old photos.Hope you enjoy your gin and tonic

I will be thinking of you Diane too - the boys will all be having a great party together.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Well SIL's visit passed off very peaceably and we had a very entertaining hour with the Funeral man with lots of anecdotes and laughter which made the task of choosing the coffin, type of Service etc easier. Everything is more or less settled - except the weather forecast - but instead of feeling more relaxed I am now beginning to stress about the smallest detail - have I chosen correctly - what will other people think of my choices - oh shut up woman and take the dog for a walk!