Why...?

Noone

Mar 12, 2007
Surrey
I just wondered why all the day care centres, activities for alzheimers sufferers etc. are always in the mornings? My relative is only just getting herself together 'awake' so to speak around 11.30am. Yet all activities based around her illness start at 10am.

She is at her absolute best around 3-4pm, but most of the centres are closing down around this time.

I think this is something that needs addressing, Im sure she isnt the only one who is at her best in the afternoons..:rolleyes:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You are quite right, as far as my husband is concerned. He takes a while to `come round` in the mornings and would have to rush around to be ready in time and become more confused than ever.
But when my mother went to day care centres, she would be sitting in her porch, washed and dressed at 7.30 a.m. waiting for the transport.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
It might be because the day centres often like to be able to offer lunch, to give carers a break from that too. Because of that, they probably like to get the day centre people settled in relatively early.

The problem is that often a day centre driver may pick people up - and drop them back afterwards, the day centre staff work certain hours, and there is also the challenge that one person with dementia may be up before dawn, while another only opens their eyes at 11am. They have a diverse clientele.

As with anything related to dementia, nothing is ever simple.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
...Im still learning...
the day you stop learning you become an expert, and, as many can testify, what they don't know in practical caring terms would fill a room the size of a planet.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother like that always awake at the crake of drawn, ready by 9am waiting for the bus to arrive for 10:30 if they late she wants me to ring them, but I don't because they arrive in the next min or 2 , If they early its great, because it give me more time to myself .

My mother been going for over a year now , so am use to the early time in getting mum organise for when they turn up

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

A daycentre which starts around 3.00 pm in the afternoon would be great for Mum and Dad. They would take all morning to get themselves dressed, (as it is at the moment because of the early start, they need help) so the morning is interesting, then lunch at home.

Why can't dinner be offered instead of lunch?

When they get home it wouldn't be long until bedtime, after a cup of tea, having had a reasonably full day.

If daycare could work 2 shifts, it would suit everyone, the early birds or the not so early ones.

Think how many more daycare places it would create?

Alfjess

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Why

Hi Alfjess

Day Centres starting after lunch and finishing after tea would be brilliant and would create a lot more places for sufferers and respite hours for carers. However, we're talking about the elderly (in the main)/Alzheimers/Dementia Carers - areas where the Government don't seem willing to spend money. A request for additional 'after hours' clubs for children wouldn't be disputed - the money would quickly be made available!

Lets just dream on!!!!!!!!!!

Casselle:(

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
So true, Casselle

A request for additional 'after hours' clubs for children wouldn't be disputed - the money would quickly be made available!

My mother AZ day center is struggling trying to get funding now, let alone for any more hours :rolleyes:

Noone

Mar 12, 2007
Surrey
Well, I mentioned it to our local outreach alzheimers worker and she thinks its a good point, so maybe something will be considered in this area at least.

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey
Noone

Can't advertise but look around a bit because I guess I must be lucky as in our area we have a superb daycentre whose praises I cannot sing too loudly. Young keen and enthusiastic staff and asfar as I can see open 24/7. Currently leave my wife for 3 five hour sessions two weekdays and sun mornings. Have also used it for evenings when I have had to go out. It's given me back my life!

Try checking the private sector.

Merlin