Why would DWP stop a pension?

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Now that Mum is permanently living in a care home, should I inform the DWP of this? All her post is redirected to meat the moment but that will end in 10 months so I guess I'll need to start letting organisations know. I don't want post to go to the home though, it still needs to come to me to deal with. Any advice?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, @Lynmax, I would inform DWP of her change of address. You can also apply to be her DWP appointee so that you can deal with all her DWP things and they will automatically send stuff to your address.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Do you think it’s possible that someone has applied to DWP to become an appointee for your father and they have the pension paid into another account.
Seems unlikely but not impossible. I just called them, they didn't indicate anyone has access and I didn't tell them who I was. They seemed to be quite hot on getting the LPA registered before speaking with anyone but that doesn't rule out impersonation, especially as Dad's mail was at one point piling up in public. I've tried to email as instructed on the call but the address failed.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Now that Mum is permanently living in a care home, should I inform the DWP of this? All her post is redirected to meat the moment but that will end in 10 months so I guess I'll need to start letting organisations know. I don't want post to go to the home though, it still needs to come to me to deal with. Any advice?
Yes I have all post go to care home, they open it and send me anything important (in fact they often don't even open it as you can tell often if it's important).

It appears that you do need to tell DWP that you have changed address.

I don't have dad's post sent to me as his address was a business address so was not allowed to be forwarded, and I also didn't want his poor financial shenanigans to reflect on our credit rating!

I also have dad signed up to paperless everything and anything if possible, like bank statements.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
To get her state pension reinstated she needed to get two people who knew her to sign some paperwork, to prove she's still alive (!).

This is pretty common with pensions - I have to do this every year with my mum's teachers pension.

There is a considerable amount of fraud around pensions so systems are in place to counteract this.

Now that Mum is permanently living in a care home, should I inform the DWP of this?

When I informed DWP that I was dealing with my mum's affairs and got her post sent to me, they needed to know her address as well. In a care home the winter fuel allowance is lower than in your own home and I think that some low temperature payments depend on address (that's what they told me)

I dealt with the changes over the phone, as the LPA I'd sent to HMRC had also been notified to DWP but they won't act without the LPA copy being on their files.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dealt with the changes over the phone, as the LPA I'd sent to HMRC had also been notified to DWP but they won't act without the LPA copy being on their files.
Just to mention - If LPA is a problem, if you apply for DWP appointee, you dont have to have POA. I know, because i applied to be mums DWP appointee while my application for deputyship was ongoing. This meant that I could talk to DWP on mums behalf and all of her letters were sent to me.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Just to mention - If LPA is a problem, if you apply for DWP appointee, you dont have to have POA. I know, because i applied to be mums DWP appointee while my application for deputyship was ongoing. This meant that I could talk to DWP on mums behalf and all of her letters were sent to me.
Oh I have seen this before but hadn't thought of it applying to DWP.

Thanks @canary

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Here's an update: I spoke to DWP. They told me I needed a code. I said, I think my LPA is too old for a code. They said, no it's a temporary fix, anyone can get a code now.
They gave me an email address for the Office of Public Guardian. It didn't work.

As it took an hour to get through to the DWP I called OPG. They answered straightaway and told me I wouldn't get a code but could email anyway. They also gave the the correct email address.

So I did and yesterday I got my code. I'm going to try it later. Will let you know how it goes.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I found out today that if someone moves into care you must tell DWP. That's my learning for the day!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
So the code worked and it seems like my F&P LPA has been put onto the new system early, essentially, so I'm sure I can use the code for other orgs if necessary.

I just got off the phone to DWP and have registered the LPA with them, told them Dad is in care and has been assessed for LA funding and has got it, and finally, found out why his pension was stopped - it was as some suspected, that they couldn't get hold of him and didn't know where he was. Similar to what happened to @Bella6 's mum I think but I don't think we'll have forms as I've registered the LPA. I understand they will send info to me now.

Thanks for all the responses - I was quite overwhelmed with work last week but as it's eased off now it's seemed a lot less of a panic.

I believe that DWP will reroute most of his pension (leaving only the spending money) to the LA. I will no doubt find out for sure eventually but the chap on the phone seemed confident he knew what to update and had all the info.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That's great. I'm trying to get through to the DWP at the moment, to try and get things sorted. They keep on saying it is a long wait. I'll give up again soon and hope the letter I sent has more luck getting through to them.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
That's great. I'm trying to get through to the DWP at the moment, to try and get things sorted. They keep on saying it is a long wait. I'll give up again soon and hope the letter I sent has more luck getting through to them.
They said they would write to me so a letter may work, but the people there seem to be working at home despite Boris saying office workers back to work (I'm certainly not going back) - I hope they have a system to reroute post.

We're away at the moment due to house being building site so I'm only getting letters twice a month when we go back for weekends but I hadn't had anything last week, not sure how long it will take.
But I did get letters from Dad's LA, apparently he hasn't been assessed. I'm quite confused but have provided the information they have asked for.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27