Why would DWP stop a pension?

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Hi all - trying not to panic here but I noticed last night that dad's DWP pension (state pension) hasn't been going into his account.

He has a separate pension that is going in every month but (please don't judge me here I feel terrible) he's not had a DWP payment at all this year.

I am going to call the pension people but can this be a mistake or is there a reason they could stop it for legitimate reasons?

Dad owed money everywhere and to everyone when I got LPA and he had hardly any paperwork and nothing online so I've really struggled to catch everything - and to be honest I was more concerned he didn't die from sepsis at the time I was sorting everything out. I sort of figured that people and organisations would catch up with him and I'd deal with them at the time.

I realise now that there is no way DWP know where he is. I will update them but could they have stopped his pension because he owes tax or something? Or do they send you a letter and if you don't reply they assume you are dead?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is he in a care home and the Local Authority are paying towards his fees? This is one reason why the DWP pension is stopped - it is redirected to the local Authority along with Attendance Allowance.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Is he in a care home and the Local Authority are paying towards his fees? This is one reason why the DWP pension is stopped - it is redirected to the local Authority along with Attendance Allowance.
He is now but that's literally since July. His payments haven't been coming in at all in 2020. I'm actually quite worried about that because I didn't realise and he would have had more money than we said at the time of assessment.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
If his bank details haven’t changed I don’t understand why his pension payments wouldn’t continue. The LA set up a Direct Debit for The Banjoman’s payment contributions, after all he should still be allowed ‘spending money’ Did you register Finance LPA with DWP? I had all The Banjoman’s correspondence sent to me so I received details of any increase or Heating Allowance payments.
It sounds as though you need to phone DWP a.s.a.p.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
If his bank details haven’t changed I don’t understand why his pension payments wouldn’t continue. The LA set up a Direct Debit for The Banjoman’s payment contributions, after all he should still be allowed ‘spending money’ Did you register Finance LPA with DWP? I had all The Banjoman’s correspondence sent to me so I received details of any increase or Heating Allowance payments.
It sounds as though you need to phone DWP a.s.a.p.
No I didn't. See, just another thing I've not done. Oh dear. I'm too late to call them today. Will try tomorrow but not sure I have enough details for dad like NI...

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
If you have an old Bank Statement his pension payment should show his NI number.
I think most Govt helplines are open until 8.00.p.m. Or they were before COVID-19.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
If you have an old Bank Statement his pension payment should show his NI number.
I think most Govt helplines are open until 8.00.p.m. Or they were before COVID-19.
I was wondering if it might. I have access to online banking that's about it!

No the pension line is 0930-1530

I'm absolutely swamped at work at the moment too

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Even if there were a recoverable debt they cannot take all the pension. It’s probably something to do with the account it’s paid into . Check in the morning. Have you found any statements from DWP concerning his April updating? You will need his national insurance No to enable easy identification of his claim.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Even if there were a recoverable debt they cannot take all the pension. It’s probably something to do with the account it’s paid into . Check in the morning. Have you found any statements from DWP concerning his April updating? You will need his national insurance No to enable easy identification of his claim.
What is April updating? No dad doesn't get post, it goes to me and we've had nothing but it makes sense seeing as I didn't tell them he was moving, and obviously he wouldn't have.

No change to the account... it's a mystery!

Bella6

Jul 25, 2020
My mother had her state pension stopped a few years ago. There was no warning, no letters, just no payments into her bank account. When she queried it a few months later, she was told that they tried to contact her on the phone and because they couldn't reach her the payments were stopped. To get her state pension reinstated she needed to get two people who knew her to sign some paperwork, to prove she's still alive (!).

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
My mother had her state pension stopped a few years ago. There was no warning, no letters, just no payments into her bank account. When she queried it a few months later, she was told that they tried to contact her on the phone and because they couldn't reach her the payments were stopped. To get her state pension reinstated she needed to get two people who knew her to sign some paperwork, to prove she's still alive (!).
This could easily have happened. This is surely a risk for anyone with dementia who is no longer able to answer the phone. Of course this is my fault for not notifying them that dad had moved but having never had a pension myself (yet but I hope to have one one day) I suppose I just didn't think of it. Thank you!

Bella6

Jul 25, 2020
What is April updating? No dad doesn't get post, it goes to me and we've had nothing but it makes sense seeing as I didn't tell them he was moving, and obviously he wouldn't have.

No change to the account... it's a mystery!
Every April (or about then) we get letters informing us of any annual increases to the state pension payments and tax codes for the new financial year.

Bella6

Jul 25, 2020
This could easily have happened. This is surely a risk for anyone with dementia who is no longer able to answer the phone. Of course this is my fault for not notifying them that dad had moved but having never had a pension myself (yet but I hope to have one one day) I suppose I just didn't think of it. Thank you!
I can't imagine it's your fault! I'm finding it very difficult to know who needs to know what, and why do they need to know.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for raising this @imthedaughter . I've just checked my mother's bank account and she hasn't had her pension paid in since February. That's when I received the letter about the cost of living rise. I tried phoning them then to let them know she is no longer at her old address (all her post is still forwarded). I couldn't get through, and though it has been at the back of my mind to chase up I've been putting it off as I hate phones. I've now written to them instead, so I hope to get an answer and get it sorted. Fortunately mum has enough money to keep her going for several more years so I trust it is sorted by then!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Thanks for raising this @imthedaughter . I've just checked my mother's bank account and she hasn't had her pension paid in since February. That's when I received the letter about the cost of living rise. I tried phoning them then to let them know she is no longer at her old address (all her post is still forwarded). I couldn't get through, and though it has been at the back of my mind to chase up I've been putting it off as I hate phones. I've now written to them instead, so I hope to get an answer and get it sorted. Fortunately mum has enough money to keep her going for several more years so I trust it is sorted by then!
Glad it's not just me. I checked the bank thoroughly and the last payment was November 2019.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Do you think it’s possible that someone has applied to DWP to become an appointee for your father and they have the pension paid into another account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife