Why would doctor want at home visit?

Bethany654

Aug 17, 2022
Unsure if correct forum so apologies if so. My mum recently got diagnosed with alzheimers- shes shown symptoms for a while but only just got brain scan and referred to dementia clinic to confirm alzheimers.

We took her to her assessment and were waiting to start meds (as were taking her off some seperate meds which would interfere). The doctor rang today to say 5th September they will be visiting the home. They didnt specify why and were currently quite worried as unsure if this is out the norm? Any advice or help would be appreciated. Has anyone else had this after getting diagnosis?

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
The Older Adult Mental Health service visited MIL & FIL at home a few times after diagnosis - both had dementia of differing presentations. The consultant visited a couple of times each and then the nurses a few times.
Once FIL was settled on his meds they discharged him back to the GP.
MIL was a different ( and VERY long ) story but eventually they discharged her as well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Bethany654

It sounds at long last as if things are returning to normal after covid and home visits are once again available

I think some people might be envious of your home visit.

I think it`s so much easier for doctors to see dementia patients in their home environment where they will be so much more relaxed than in a surgery.

If you have any questions before the date of the appointment make a note of them and hopefully there will be time to discuss.

I hope you will find Dementia Talking Point helpful and supportive. You have posted in exactly the right space

Bethany654

Aug 17, 2022
The Older Adult Mental Health service visited MIL & FIL at home a few times after diagnosis - both had dementia of differing presentations. The consultant visited a couple of times each and then the nurses a few times.
Once FIL was settled on his meds they discharged him back to the GP.
MIL was a different ( and VERY long ) story but eventually they discharged her as well.
Comforting to know thank you for replying x

Bethany654

Aug 17, 2022
Welcome @Bethany654

It sounds at long last as if things are returning to normal after covid and home visits are once again available

I think some people might be envious of your home visit.

I think it`s so much easier for doctors to see dementia patients in their home environment where they will be so much more relaxed than in a surgery.

If you have any questions before the date of the appointment make a note of them and hopefully there will be time to discuss.

I hope you will find Dementia Talking Point helpful and supportive. You have posted in exactly the right space
Ah that's good to know, was worried but mum dislikes going to the doctors. So will be better for Her. thank you so much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman