Why won't mental health doctor confirm dementia in writing

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I was advised my dad had a working diagnosis of unspecified dementia after a 3month hospital stay.
On his discharge I asked for confirmation of dementia to be told the psychiatrist was now on long term sick.
Eventually 3 months later after nagging I received a call from another mental health doctor to arrange a home visit to assess my dad.
He visited 3 weeks ago and spent 2 hours quizzing my dad who eventually told him to leave the house. He started to say to my dad have you heard about dementia. Dad said yes it's in the paper everyday
Then dad asked him again to leave
He said I will put a report in the post with test results.
Now 3 weeks later and I have asked where the letter is and to address to myself his daughter to a avoid further stress. He said he would rather make another appointment to discuss with my dad and can't send anything to me.
Has anyone else had trouble getting confirmation in writing and also it only being available to the patient not me as his daughter with power of attorney ?
It's a constant battle
Thanks all

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi

I attended all the meetings my dad had with the memory clinic team- all home visits . I am down as Dad's main carer and recorded as such at the surgery and hospital so everything was arranged through me and reported back to me (although it was many more weeks later before I received a letter -more like 9 or 10)
Do you just have financial POA or the Health POA? If the latter ,then I can't see their problem in including you in the loop as first port of call. If not , go to your dad's GP surgery and get yourself formally recognised as carer as well as daughter.

I think if you are not present at the meetings and assessments it is hard for the team to stay if your Dad is giving them their marching orders. Mine would have done the same and I had to be quite persuasive to get him to complete the process.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
It sounds to me as though there may not be a clear decision on whether or not he has dementia - perhaps the doctor did not feel that he could be certain and wants to talk it through

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I didn't have a problem getting a diagnosis with either my (late) mother or for my wife.
A 20 minute session with the GP, referral to the memory clinic, a few tests and a brain scan and the letter came in the post with a diagnosis (sent to the GP copy to me).
I guess it may depend on where you are in the country (possibly) or if your Dad is capable of remembering there is such a thing as a newspaper let alone what it says in it then maybe he's on the "cusp" and the doctor isn't quite convinced where he is at can be called formally Dementia and isn't just age related decline.
K

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for all your responses.
The mental health doctors PA has sent me caring for dementia patients, a booklet on dementia help services in the area and dementia gadgets.
The doctor himself said after the visit which I was present at that he had dementia however he is unsure what type. He said he would prescribe medication to help but as dad is on warfarin he thinks it's best not to as it can cause more side effects than actually help.
My dad told him he trusts me with everything and that I have enduring POA. As this was given in 2004 maybe the health part wasn't covered then.
So I am getting all the leaflets from the mental health team re dementia, care groups to go to but no letter hence I can't apply for a council tax discount for dad.
Draining the constant chasing

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I had council tax discount for my Ma without a diagnosis. It requires the doctor to sign off that there is severe mental impairment so explain the situation to your GP and I'm sure they'll sign it off

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I had council tax discount for my Ma without a diagnosis. It requires the doctor to sign off that there is severe mental impairment so explain the situation to your GP and I'm sure they'll sign it off

My first task tomorrow Fizzie thank you