why small age people aslo suffering from alzhemier

nazim

Jan 1, 2005
india
hello this is my first message on this fourm
i am 30 years indian male working as computer engineer
i think i also suffering from this bad deseas. i fogot most of thigs. some times i forget my car near office and when i go to home remember. this is very risky and i fear too much because imagine if i am driving and i forget what i am doing than i could make acceident so what should i do i need your help and suggestion

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Nazim,

Although there have been cases identified for people as young as teenagers, there are very very few people who get Alzheimer's below 50 years of age. Of course for every one below 50 - or above that age - who does get it, it is a major thing.

A number of things can cause memory problems. For example,
  • overwork
  • depression
  • too many things happening at the same time

The recent terrible disaster in Asia will also distract your mind from normal things.

I have several times forgotten where I have left my car - mostly when leaving it a huge airport carparks. In those situations, my mind has been on checking in for the flight, the flight itself, etc.

I often have to return home to check I have locked up, turned things off, etc

When driving, I often realise that I can't remember the past few miles I have driven. The human mind can do a lot, quite unconsciously, and watching the road is one of those things.

I did get scared one night when driving home from work when I suddenly didn't recognise the road at all. Then I realised that it was a new route that I had only driven along in daylight, and this was the first night time journey.

None of these things mean that I have Alzheimer's.

Generally the things that would worry me would be if I could not remember how to write my name, or if I did not recognise people I knew well and see every day.

None of this will help you because you will still worry. I recommend that you try and see your doctor and explain your worries. They will be able to help you.

Best wishes

nazim

Jan 1, 2005
india
thanks brucie

thanks brucie for your detail reply
i think this deseas is more spread in all over the world. our grandfathters memory was more powerfull. because they do not take so much tension like us. there life was slow and with patient and they have no more tension. fast life and fast work also one of the reason.
i just want to know one more things. is this deceses will be transfer to my child also. do u have chiled have u note this weakness in any of child. and if it is than what can we do to escape our new gernration from alzhemier

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Nazim

you must understand that I am not a doctor, and not a medical expert on Alzheimer's. I have observed my wife for 15 years as she started to have symptoms and as those symptoms have developed. Everything I say is based on that.

I think that dementia [such as Alzheimer's] has been around for a very long time. In the past it was called other things, such as senile dementia, and even simply 'being mad'. I don't think that Alzheimer's is caused by things happening in the present day - though I may be wrong.

Regarding your child, I would look first to your parents and grandparents. Did they have Alzheimer's?

If there is a genetic link, then it would probably have caused Alzheimer's before in your family. If someone else in the family DID have Alzheimer's, then there MAY be a genetic link that MIGHT lead through you to your child. BUT BUT BUT there are many if's there. Most likely you will not need to worry.

Why not see your doctor and try and put your mind at rest about yourself, before worrying about anything else at all?

Remember, we all forget things. That does not mean that we all have Alzheimer's!

You work with computers - you will understand that memory needs to be triggered in order to remember things. Imagine a hard disk on a PC. When you delete a file on the disk, the file does not get removed. It is only the address where the file starts that is removed, and even that can be reactivated so that a file that has been 'deleted' can be 'undeleted'. The information can once again be 'remembered'.

In the same way with our human memory, things lay around in our brains that we may think we have forgotten. It just takes a word, a face, a smell or a sound and that re-activates the memory. When we are very busy or are preoccupied, we switch our attention to different things and may neglect other things which we then think we have forgotten. Later, something triggers a link to the memory and we find we have not forgotten after all.

Please don't let this worry you too much - just see your doctor!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Nazim
Halo jii,I hope Bruce has helped some of you fears.
The main thing to do is to go and see your Doctor and I am sure you will find everything is alright
Khudaa haafiz
Norman

Chris

May 20, 2003
Originally posted by Brucie
Hello Nazim

You work with computers - you will understand that memory needs to be triggered in order to remember things. Imagine a hard disk on a PC. When you delete a file on the disk, the file does not get removed. It is only the address where the file starts that is removed, and even that can be reactivated so that a file that has been 'deleted' can be 'undeleted'. The information can once again be 'remembered'.

In the same way with our human memory, things lay around in our brains that we may think we have forgotten. It just takes a word, a face, a smell or a sound and that re-activates the memory. When we are very busy or are preoccupied, we switch our attention to different things and may neglect other things which we then think we have forgotten. Later, something triggers a link to the memory and we find we have not forgotten after all.

Thanks so much for this illustrated explanation Bruce. A lot of readers will be helped by this I'm sure as well as Nazim I hope. Although we may have known this , deep down, it helps a lot to have it spelt out - & see how a crowded mind - perhaps with worry or thoughts of people now gone or not as they were - can affect the working of our memory. 'Preoccupied' is another word that comes to me - this is where some form of relaxation or therapeutic activity comes in as it can rest the mind by tension relieving or distraction - then hopefully we are mentally fitter to cope with the everyday things. Easier said than done - but another essential service' we need in place for carers as well as the overworked. More campaigning !

Nazim - do keep in touch. Best Wishes.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Chris,

I'm pleased it made some sense!

I've had hours, days, weeks, etc of thinking, worrying, just trying to figure out what is the reason for Jan's behaviours - and my own - mostly to try and help her, but also to try not to go completely mad.

I have found that a long association with computers and the way they work helps me to think I may understand some of the processes, though I have no idea whether I am correct or whether I have indeed gone off my rocker, and no-one has told me.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if I am correct, as long as I think I have an understanding. That enables me to get by.

Now, nurse - bring in the screens! White coat man approacheth, carrying a brand new jacket.

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
Hi Nazim, and everyone else.
I have wondered before if AD / dementia is genetic. My Grandma has ...something...and her Mum did as well, before such things were widely known about. Obviously, in the worry of looking after Grandma, my Mum and I are also worried that we will eventually develop it too. Because of this, I have started to scrutinise everything she says and does for 'signs' - confusion, forgetfulness, vagueness. And I've noticed loads. Then I thought, well maybe if I watched anyone that closely I would pick up on these things!
Everyone does it, the difference is people who don't know anyone with dementia think "Oh no, I've lost my keys...forgotten where I parked...automatically driven to work when I meant to go shopping". People who are involved in dementia think "it's started!!"
I take comfort from all the studies that show having a mentally challenging job/keeping active/drinking tea/drinking red wine help to prevent AD, and also that there is a lot they can do now to help. But like Brucie has said - see your doctor, put your mind at rest.

Now what was I saying?....... :)

C

Chesca

Thanks Nada, I find that info reassuring.

Nazim, There was a time, similar to the experiences of the others, when my partner was seriously worried about my mental health: I was on first name terms with the RAC man who was called out four times because I had locked myself out of the car. I would walk miles, in the house, looking for whatever it was I couldn't remember I was looking for, and was manifesting all manner of mood swings with the frustration of it all, unable to co-ordinate anything whereas previously I had been known for organising things well. Then I started to worry about my future, could this be the start of something awful? I felt, really, that I was losing my mind - if you'll pardon the exaggeration! My head was like Xerxe, an ever-exploding ball of volcanic sparks that just wouldn't die down.

I was caring for Mum, a dementia sufferer and this all coincided with my Mum's admission into hospital after a long period of much stress and emotional pain, a recent hurried house move to help out, financial worries, battling the system on behalf of Mum and Dad, grief at 'losing' Mum, trying to balance an act involving three locations and so on..........I truly felt as though I was losing everything. In fact, it was in that state of mind that I first used this talking point. It helped. A lot.

I can look back now and see the impact of all of those stress factors, but at the time I could not compartmentalise any of it.
Try not to underestimate the effects of real stress and try to take a little time out for yourself for some private meditation in whatever manner of your choosing - it may help to put things into perspective, relieve some of the stress.

Best wishes for the future
Chesca

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR