Why is my mum getting a home visit, as part of her diagnosis?

Worrieddaughters

Jan 1, 2020
My Mum has been getting more and more forgetful over the last couple of years, and several family members have noticed, all trying to get her to speak to her doctor/ visit a memory clinic. After much persuasion, we got her to speak to her doctor, who then referred her to the local memory clinic. She went on her own (without telling us until after) and claims that they said there wasn’t anything wrong with her. It’s now about a month later and she mentioned that “some doctor or nurse” is coming to do a home visit next week. She is convinced there’s nothing wrong with her and will, no doubt, put on a good show for the home visit!
However, I just wanted to know if this is a normal part of diagnosis, or if a home visit would only happen if they think there’s a problem. I know she’ll refuse to let anyone else be there at the visit.
We’re based in Scotland, so may be slightly different to nhs England.
Can anyone shed any light?
Thank you

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Worrieddaughters
My Dad had a home visit from the memory clinic before diagnosis. Make sure one of you are there with her then you know exactly what is going on.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes they usually make a home visit before diagnosis. Try to find out when it will be and just turn up beforehand for a cup of tea or similar.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Mums gp referred her to memory clinic and firstly they sent someone to mums home to do tests and talk to her and me (as I was there) about things mum struggled with etc.
Then we went for ct scan and finally to memory clinic for diagnosis.
After the first visit at mums they also sent an occupational therapist to see how mum managed day to day things round house.
After diagnosis at memory clinic the same memory worker who did initial meeting came back to mums to go over diagnosis and talk to mum about tablets mum was going to be taking and about three weeks after that mum also had visit from memory support worker who came to check how mum is on her medication.
So it could be your mums visit is for one of those reasons.
The social worker also came to mums house to do assessment so it could be that too, although we had to ask SS to do assessment so may not be that in your mums case if no one asked for care assessment.
I'm staying at mums so always here when people come and usually do the arranging for mum anyway. If you can be there I would and then you can get a bit of an idea of whats happening.
Good luck x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If you are in Scotland and she is not giving you the full story this person could be a Link worker or CPN. Both of these act as a liaison between the consultant psychiatrist and the client. If she is going to be prescribed medication it will be a CPN but if there is no med she will get a Link worker once a month for a year. They visit and talk and might make suggestions as to how she could get help in the house or where to meet others in various groups. I found these two groups of workers invaluable in the early years. As Johns illness progressed the CPN made arrangements for admission to a daycentre. All of my contacts with them on his behalf were positive. If you can be there for at least some of the meetings it would help a lot.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My Mum has been getting more and more forgetful over the last couple of years, and several family members have noticed, all trying to get her to speak to her doctor/ visit a memory clinic. After much persuasion, we got her to speak to her doctor, who then referred her to the local memory clinic. She went on her own (without telling us until after) and claims that they said there wasn’t anything wrong with her. It’s now about a month later and she mentioned that “some doctor or nurse” is coming to do a home visit next week. She is convinced there’s nothing wrong with her and will, no doubt, put on a good show for the home visit!
However, I just wanted to know if this is a normal part of diagnosis, or if a home visit would only happen if they think there’s a problem. I know she’ll refuse to let anyone else be there at the visit.
We’re based in Scotland, so may be slightly different to nhs England.
Can anyone shed any light?
Thank you
Oh lovely I do sympathise as my Mum did this in 2014, & last year with repeated hospital admissions etc it all became very clear that mum was now at end stage dementia.
You can ring the clinic & state your concerns & ask if you can be present at appointments. Depending on the issues your mum presented will dictate the response, I found the direct route to the consultant worked best for me but Mums dementia is noticeable in her behaviour.

Good luck lovely
Xx

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Worrieddaughters
a warm welcome from me too

I know the services are slightly different in Scotland, as marionq explains .... so that members can see where you are, might you add Scotland as your location on your profile, then members from Scotland may see it and, as marionq has, tailorctheir responses
you have probably already found this site:
https://www.alzscot.org/

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968