Why is it that...........

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
everything that I do as a carer is relatively self contained and successful (with exceptions) within the home - but as soon as social services or any other outside agency gets involved its riddled with incompetence, buck passing and downright lies.
The longer I continue to do this it never ceases to amaze me that the worse thing that can happen to a person in this country is simply to get old.

Last edited:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
It is some consolation to know that those people in SS and other agencies will learn what it is like when they commit the dreadful crime of growing old themselves.
What are they up to with you right now?

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Nothing specific right now...was just going through my diaries last night and the endless stream of incompetence and poor service hit home.

When every conversation/meeting with "health professionals" ends with ..."the complaint form is available should you need it" ...

A complaint should be a rarity - not the norm

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
but as soon as social services or any other outside agency gets involved its riddled with incompetence, buck passing and downright lies.
Yes but the useless ones in the state workforce, and there are many, know that if they did their job well there wouldn't be so many of them needed and the cull would start from the bottom up.;) Also all those complaint forms generate a whole new, vast and different route for advancement along the pay structure.:(

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
My mother had some savings and then a house to sell so we very soon cut out any local authority involvement. We used a private care agency for homecare, then sorted out a care home by ourselves, when we decided the time was right.

People are always saying stupid things like "I'm going to spend all my money so I don't have to pay for my care when I get old".

Take it from me (and I KNOW it shouldn't be the case) its far better to have your own funds and thus be able to by-pass officialdom. Independence and freedom of choice are what you can buy.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi

My husband has Alzheimer's and I hate it when I go out for important matters such as getting a brake light fixed and then when I return my husband says he knocked on the neighbour's door. He said he mentioned how much snow there was still left on the front lawn and then he made a joke which was a bit inappropriate. I know in my heart that it was a joke and that most probably the lady will take it as its meant but I find it so annoying. A couple of inappropriate jokes have got him into trouble before and so I am fearful about him getting himself into trouble again. Think fine to talk over the garden fence or out the front or if any reason to meet up with our neighbour's but I don't think appropriate for him to knock on the door at all but he wants an excuse to be able to chat and do his jokes which have come with his illness.

Makes me feel as though I shouldn't go out. Also all this takes up my precious time mentally and physically and is draining.

Reds

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
. Independence and freedom of choice are what you can buy.

Hear hear, Navara, this is exactly what I think. Although I also think that Pete R is a bit unfair to the many people in the public sector who are working their hardest trying to do more with less every year. All those cuts in funding inevitably have an impact on the quality of service.

I've had just as much incompetence and poor service from private sector organisations, notably banks, insurance companies, and utility companies.

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hear hear, Navara, this is exactly what I think. Although I also think that Pete R is a bit unfair to the many people in the public sector who are working their hardest trying to do do more with less every year. All those cuts in funding inevitably have an impact on the quality of service.

I've had just as much incompetence and poor service from private sector organisations, notably banks, insurance companies, and utility companies.

I agree Pickles :) Having worked in the public services, I know how hard it can be to do a good job....And in the current situation, the most difficulty I've had has been with banks :mad:

All in all, though, I don't think you can beat the independence that comes from having your own resources.

Lindy xx

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Although I also think that Pete R is a bit unfair to the many people in the public sector who are working their hardest trying to do do more with less every year.
I am glad you have had a more positive experience than that of my Mom however there would be many that I have come across since last Easter that even if you gave them an unlimited budget and the wages of a premiership footballer their individual performance would not improve one iota.

All those cuts in funding inevitably have an impact on the quality of service.
How many posts/threads do we see on here regarding incompetence, giving false information or downright lies? Quality of service maybe affected yes, but that should not be used as an excuse by any person to lower their own personal standards.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Agree about the money - yes it does give you choice, an alternative to social services, officialdom and hopefully peace of mind, although I have read enough "horror stories" regardless of money or private choices to question if the difference is that great. (if it is for you personally - god bless you and well done)
I don't think the "useless" ones in the state workforce are that smart to recognise that they are using the system to stay employed - they are just "working" and sadly that's enough for them.
There are many good and worthy people working as "health professionals" in this country - sadly I have met few.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I am glad you have had a more positive experience than that of my Mom however there would be many that I have come across since last Easter that even if you gave them an unlimited budget and the wages of a premiership footballer their individual performance would not improve one iota.

How many posts/threads do we see on here regarding incompetence, giving false information or downright lies? Quality of service maybe affected yes, but that should not be used as an excuse by any person to lower their own personal standards.

There is no excuse for lies or giving false information but when people are given too heavy a caseload and unrealistic targets the risks of poor decision-making and mistakes being made are likely to increase.

Business leaders are continually telling us that they have to pay huge salaries in order to get people to do a good job at the top end of the scale; apparently this does not apply to people doing more ordinary but often vital jobs.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins