Why I'm here.

Irish2021

Feb 13, 2021
Hi, my beloved mother passed away on January 7th, so my experiences with this illness are in the past. I draw comfort though from reading the posts, wish I'd found it earlier.

She was 86, and until 2 years ago was in excellent mental and physical health so I know I'm luckier than some. Jan 2019 she fell at home in the kitchen and fractured her hip. She developed delirium after the surgery, which then progressed to dementia.

There is a lot to say even though it was less than 2 years, it will all be familiar to everyone here but still I need to share her story. I will write more in time.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hi, my beloved mother passed away on January 7th, so my experiences with this illness are in the past. I draw comfort though from reading the posts, wish I'd found it earlier.

She was 86, and until 2 years ago was in excellent mental and physical health so I know I'm luckier than some. Jan 2019 she fell at home in the kitchen and fractured her hip. She developed delirium after the surgery, which then progressed to dementia.

There is a lot to say even though it was less than 2 years, it will all be familiar to everyone here but still I need to share her story. I will write more in time.
We are 4years into this, but Mum's dementia came on exactly as your mum's. Within 6 weeks the competent, capable person had gone. I had no idea that dementia could manifest itself like this, and the hardest thing to bear is the "if only" - if only she hadn't broken her hip ....

Suze99

Nov 8, 2020
So sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum this year too on January 4th to covid 19. She was 90. Similar story as she was living alone in her bungalow with poor mobility but fine mentally until June when she had a fall. After two spells of a month each in hospital got delirium which led to dementia. Very rapid decline in care home. Hastened by these lockdowns I think. Thinking of you and sending my sincere condolences

Pepp3r

May 22, 2020
@Irish2021, I'm so sorry for your loss. this is a very cruel illness and a tough world to live in at the moment. My mum had Alzheimer's , it was slow but progressing and we were just about coping. Then mum had a fall in the garden at the beginning of the first lockdown and never recovered from the hip operation , within 5 days we had lost her. Thinking of you at this sad time .

Irish2021

Feb 13, 2021
We are 4years into this, but Mum's dementia came on exactly as your mum's. Within 6 weeks the competent, capable person had gone. I had no idea that dementia could manifest itself like this, and the hardest thing to bear is the "if only" - if only she hadn't broken her hip ....
I'm in tears here reading your post, yes it's the ''if only'' that has been very hard for me to bear, thanks for that though, I thought I was the only one with those thoughts.
Sending you and your Mum my very warmest thoughts and good wishes, stick with it.

Irish2021

Feb 13, 2021
@Irish2021, I'm so sorry for your loss. this is a very cruel illness and a tough world to live in at the moment. My mum had Alzheimer's , it was slow but progressing and we were just about coping. Then mum had a fall in the garden at the beginning of the first lockdown and never recovered from the hip operation , within 5 days we had lost her. Thinking of you at this sad time .
Thanks for that, yes it was similar for us in that we had been just managing and then she was admitted to hospital (UTI) and things just got out of control very quickly and in a matter of days we lost her, we never saw it coming, sending you my sympathy in return.

Irish2021

Feb 13, 2021
So sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum this year too on January 4th to covid 19. She was 90. Similar story as she was living alone in her bungalow with poor mobility but fine mentally until June when she had a fall. After two spells of a month each in hospital got delirium which led to dementia. Very rapid decline in care home. Hastened by these lockdowns I think. Thinking of you and sending my sincere condolences
Thanks for that, yes I'm in no doubt that when we can't visit the loved one it speeds things up, my heart was broken that we couldn't see her and it was a huge factor I think. It's too much to bear at times. Sending you my own sympathy on your loss.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
It's a shock even if it is expected. Dad had alzhiemers and cancer and we knew it would happen but when it did I was not ready at all. I am sorry for your loss.