Why have I received CH invoice?

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
My mum was placed in a local authority contracted CH a month ago. As I understood it she receives funded care under S117 to be met by a combination of NHS and LA. Why then have I received an invoice today from the county council for almost 2000 pounds for her fees at care home?!? Absolutely not what I needed to come home to after yesterday and working a 12 hour day today!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So your mother was sectioned under a section 3 and subsequently move to a care home? If that's the case and you didn't sign anything then it can't be right and may well be the result of some miscommunication somewhere.

As a matter of interest, does that £2K represent basically the whole of the care home fees?

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
Yes, Jennifer, she was under Section 2 then Section 3, was moved from hospital directly to care home after the decision making tool meeting with her care coordinator and social worker. I was given three CH contracted by both the LA and the NHS and chose one of them. The fees at the CH are 511 pounds per week. I have not signed a thing!!!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Then I think what you are dealing with here is an error rather than anything else. Do you have a social worker or anything? I would contact the LA tomorrow and basically say: here, just a mo, my mother's care is being funded by 117 aftercare so this bill should not have been sent.

Not a nice thing to get in the mail, of course, but I'm sure it's just an oversight. Please try not to worry. I suspect (with the timing particularly) that these bills get sent out at the end of the months to everyone for whom the LA has contracted care and this one got miscoded for some reason.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I would inform whoever sent the invoice that as your mum is receiving care under S117 the total costs have to be paid by the NHS/LA and that you will not be paying. Also ask for confirmation that they accept this and no longer expect you to pay.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think the invoicing section of care homes can have problems. When mum went into her CH following a TIA I was told that she would get 6 weeks paid for, but the CH invoiced me for those weeks.
I contacted her SW who agreed that I should not have to pay and I wrote a letter to mums CH saying that I should not have to pay for those weeks and could they please send me a revised invoice as I did owe for subsequent weeks.

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Similar

I can relate to the stress of this as well. After visiting Mum all morning Friday came home to an incorrect bill from the Council. It's not an easy and quick thing to sort out either what 'with hold the line a moment' three times and all the press one or two requests, very stressful on top of everything else we all do, :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23