why has it taken them so long to send the bill.?

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
hi, my mother died in november last year, she was in a care home, most of her fees were paid for by the council and she paid the rest from her pensions. I informed the relevant authorities , DWP, local authorities and was told all her bills and pensions were uptodate and she didn't owe or was owed any money. Now 5 months down the road I have received a bill for her care home fees from the LA saying they are owed money. She didn't have any money in her bank account and no property to sell, does anybody know if has her next of kin do I have to pay this money.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to answer but my understanding is that any monies owing can only be taken from a deceased person's estate if there is anything left after funeral expenses which take priority, so if there wasn't anything left in her estate, next of kin are not liable for deceased debts if solely in that person's name.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
If you can show there was no money left when your mums affairs were wrapped up, then no you are not liable for any debt. If you still have all the paperwork from the time they told you everything was up to date, I would ask them to show you how they came to the conclusion money was still outstanding and why they are asking you to pay a bill after such a passage of time has elapsed.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I would guess that someone is going through old files at the end of the financial year, in an attempt to squeeze a bit more juice from the lemons :rolleyes:

I agree with others, your mother's bills can only be paid from her money. You are not liable, unless you deliberately disposed of cash from her account before her death. I am assuming you didn't do that Krissy :)

Wishing you all the best

Lindy x

Last edited:

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Partial Beneficiary

I know somebody who received 20% of the estate and a bill came for about £200 18 months after the person had died in care.
The estate had been distributed.
He offered to pay his share amounting to £40 but all the other beneficiaries were in Australia, Canada, India and France.
I don't know what happened in the end but I would imagine it might have not been cost effective to chase the beneficiaries who were abroad.

William