Why do we bother?

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
Time for MIL's 6 monthly check up. The MHU has moved from a very convenient ground floor, free parking outside the office, to our local hospital. You have to park in their car park, charge £3, and walk from the car park to the end of the hospital. When you get there, you are confronted with two flights of stairs because no-one has told me that the entrance with the lift is round the other side.
MIL complaining all the way, out of breath and upset that we are at the HOSPITAL!! She has a chronic fear of anything medicaly related, be it GP, or Geriatrician, and the hospital is a definite no no.
It was a complete waste of time, the doctor smiled at her and asked how she was, she smiled back and said she was fine. When I tell him the truth, we have the usual daggers and agressive manner, much more like her usual self.
No MMSE, it's well over a year since they did that, and no change to the meds. Is it really worth the aggravation? It was bad enough before getting her to an easy clinic, this is a bridge too far I think.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Splat88, hi
Oh my heart goes out to you, what a horrid day and terrible waste of time, so very upsetting for you all. There is no point in these appointments.
I hope you are more settled now and life is not too upset.
Take good care of yourself, with best wishes from Jo

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
When my Dad refused to get out of bed recently I decided to phone the memory clinic and just cancel appt. I told them he would not co-operate and that was that. Did I want to make another appt? No point said I.
Within a few days the clinic doc phoned and made appt to come to see Dad at home. I was most surprised and pleased that she made the effort to come to him. I still think its all a bit of a waste of time but Dad enjoyed the chat!!!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Blue Badge....if you haven't got one apply now. These are vital things you need in day to day living if you want to get out and about with MIL. You can download the form if you Google your area and Blue Badge Scheme. Night Maureen.x.

graybags

Jun 16, 2010
Hertfordshire
I had to take my dad to hospital for a pre-op assessment last week, nothing major but was then told that the wait for the surgery could be 16 weeks, but the assessment is only valid for 12, so if we have to wait 16 weeks, then they'll have to do the assessment again..............and you wonder why the NHS is on it's knees !!

They also seemed more interested in us filling in a form scoring the department on how they dealt with us.............God give me strength.

And finally, got a letter last week asking Dad to attend hospital for an ectocardiagram (I think)..............on 8th September.

I'll switch the lights off when I leave :)